Cut Brooklyn: Opinions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I am one of the only or few members of KKF from Brooklyn (I think DitmasPork also hails from BK) I thought I might chime in. Joel is a cool guy and always friendly when he is in the shop along with the rest of the staff. They do a great repair and sharpening service for a good price and are always down to talk shop. I would love to own one, but once you get in that $500+ range for a gyuto ($650 for a Cut BK 240 Journeyman) I only purchase a few a year and there is always something else that catches my eye/wallet over one. I wouldn't spend $350 on a petty by any maker or $250. I do like some of the newer handles and shapes coming out of there though and it may be a bit more motivation to grab one up.

If i could, i would like to try every hand made knife in the world, just out of curiousity. I'm sure a lot of you feel that way too. Since my resources are not as big as i would like, i'm still choosing to buy a, for instance, $400 white #2 Kiritsuke 270mm Keijiro Doi knife or a $700 240mm Fujiwara Teruyasu Denka Gyuto than a $650 Cut BK 240 Journeyman. But that's just my opinion due to my small bank account.

I think you missed my point entirely. There are some good Japanese smiths as well as good American smiths. The product is more important than nationality. There is an entire thread around this.

Read the entire post next time mate.

Read your post. Your post said nothing about other smiths, only Japanese smiths.

Wow. First off, it is nice to open a thread and see so many old-hand forum members getting worked up, but also, I should have known better than to open a thread about opinions on Cut Brooklyn. That's my bad.

Now I have to PM mhlee about california wine :)

Cheers,

k.

I think Chinacats had it right, it only matters if the price is agreeable for the two parties involved. However... Are Kramer's knives worth the thousands we see every few months? Is the prices he or CB (which are obviously far apart in terms of pricing, but they share the american made media adoration) fetching influencing the market? I think that's a far more interesting aspect of this conversation...

Back