Cutting board search, and advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saya

Reaction score
Hi there

One of you here gents has a cutting board that I found very beautiful, but now cant find images again. I will try to describe it:

Mostly dark wood, with small, seemingly irregular yellow colour wood inserts, all end-grain. What makes it distinctive is that the wood sections are not rectangular but mostly polygons, irregularly placed.

Ring any bells?

Then...if I were to make my own end-grain block: Any recommendations - slanted edges, juice channel etc, any suggestions of type of wood? best characteristics, best for edge retention, best for wicking bacteria?

Something from mtmwood perhaps?

1565++-1000x636.jpg

Man, I'm getting stressed out just looking at that picture of the mtmwood board.

Lars

Then...if I were to make my own end-grain block: Any recommendations - slanted edges, juice channel etc, any suggestions of type of wood? best characteristics, best for edge retention, best for wicking bacteria?
Anything from theboardsmith.com. I'm very happy with the board which he made for me.

i personally dont like juice channels btw i do love cutouts on the bottom for hand holds. recessed feet are nice too but not a big deal.

attachment.php

Wow. Thanks, HugSeal, I didn't know that was possible. The one I'm thinking of looks more like the first link Boardsmith mosaïc that Turbo posted.
I love the simplicity of the tsourkan boards.
Thanks all

I like having a juice groove on just one side and skip the rubber feet, then I can use both sides choosing depending on use. Groove side to catch juices and liquids, other side for less messy things. Having a two sided board also means you could cut on one side and display the unused and unblemished side.

For end grain, the most popular woods seem to be maple, walnut, and cherry and are in descending order of hardness (maple being the hardest). It's usually suggested to avoid woods with large pores like oak.

I like having some kind of handles routed into the edges to help get purchase to lift a heavy board.

@milkbaby I appreciate your comment, had gotten maple & walnut hardnesses switched in my head, and reading this made me double back and check that, thanks!

Reminds me of a Mondrian painting a little bit.

Back