Daitoku??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems it's made in a small factory ran by a single smith.

I found a page interviewing the smith (try Google translate)
http://www.salsica.com/?p=7889

He says he learned blacksmithing in Kyoto.

I didn't know this brand. Feeling like it's in the same category where Tadahusa is playing (simple and warm appearance) in the Japanese market.

I haven't tried them but would be a bit weary of anything with that choil, personally. It can be found on the new Takeda's, the Moritaka's and I'm sure plenty of others. This doesn't say anything about fit and finish of the knife itself or of the quality, but it looks like it could be quite a wedgy experience, which means that you'd have to thin or have it thinned very shortly after buying it.

I haven't tried them but would be a bit weary of anything with that choil, personally. It can be found on the new Takeda's, the Moritaka's and I'm sure plenty of others. This doesn't say anything about fit and finish of the knife itself or of the quality, but it looks like it could be quite a wedgy experience, which means that you'd have to thin or have it thinned very shortly after buying it.

Doesnt look like a Takeda choil to me.

Idk why but i’ve always wanted to try that 120 mm nakiri for the house lol. Obviously not for work.

I just recently bought the Daitoku 210mm gyuto. It's actually my first Japanese knife, so I can't really compare it to anything else. I can say the feel is good, it seems well balanced and the handle is comfortable, though I do find the grind a bit confusing, but I'm no expert on blade geometry. I wouldn't say the knife is wedgy, but as I say, I have nothing to really compare it against. Find attached a choil shot. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has on the knife, but my subjective experiences may not be all that informative as I don't have much experience with Japanese knives; but I am happy with the knife!

Attachments

• daitoku choil closeup.jpeg
    daitoku choil closeup.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Back