Damascus core, mono clad knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There's a fair few of the modern crop of western knifemakers (US and aus mainly) doing a pattern welded / damascus core under a monosteel cladding. Makes for quite an interestig, and certainly attention grabbing, look, especially to my eyes used to the inverse, and just wondered your thoughts as to this? Anyone got one?

Thanks for the link. A very different looking blade.

20170724_095059.jpg

Here's one Greg Cimms did in stainless damascus cladding over carbon damascus core: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ8diuZBw8o/

With the easy availability of great steel nowadays, damascus steel is mostly just for looks. It shows off the skill, creativity, and ingenuity of the bladesmith, but is of negligible performance advantage if any.

Ian Roberts of Haburn knives did one a little while back as well, I know the pics are in his thread. It's a fun concept.

There are some japanese makers that are leaving their layers relatively undisturbed, effectively getting you a patterned blade road and a quiet blade face.... halfway there I guess :)

I suppose it just looks strange being used to it the other way around. It also begs the question: why? The structural strength benefits of normal san mai won't really matter when cladding a damascus core will they? Anyway, yeah that halcyon forge looks pretty cool.

I suppose it just looks strange being used to it the other way around. It also begs the question: why? The structural strength benefits of normal san mai won't really matter when cladding a damascus core will they? Anyway, yeah that halcyon forge looks pretty cool.

Joe used American too steel for this , I’m sure the core came out to be around 62-63 on Rockwell scale .. it’s really not different when done properly

Back