Damasteel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So are we at your mercy about what we think or wish for?

I for one do not expect Damasteel to perform better than pure RWL34, but man, take it easy. Of course it is mostly about the pattern looking nice. Is there a problem with that?
Not at all. I almost bought a honyoki for the cool factor. The cool factor is what reigns in the west.

Yes, I did. I compared a coreless damascus in 19C27, AEBL, and 302 to one of Devin's monosteel AEB-L wa-gyutos.
Im assuming thickness behind the edge was the same and sharpening angle was done on the same stones through the same progression with a similar time span?

What food and meals were prepared with these knives? Is there video? Photos? Notes? An old forum review I am skipping over? Witnesses I can interview? Police records? Court documents? IRS audit trail? Confessions by the shooter in the grassy knowl?

What food and meals were prepared with these knives? Is there video? Photos? Notes? An old forum review I am skipping over? Witnesses I can interview? Police records? Court documents? IRS audit trail? Confessions by the shooter in the grassy knowl?

Various and assorted. No. No. No. Yes, but it's on a need to know basis. None still living. No. No. No. If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

Various and assorted. No. No. No. Yes, but it's on a need to know basis. None still living. No. No. No. If I told you, I'd have to kill you.
This makes you about as credible as your average Press Secretary.

[emoji23]

But still one up on you.
Only cause there is no verification and I have to go by his word and "feelings". Just because I am not allowed to prove that fairies don't exist doesnt mean squat. Lets get those 2 Devin blades on the line and 4 more plus a $1000 minimum buy in with some betting odds and lets see who comes out with a wide grin and a fat wallet.

Only cause there is no verification and I have to go by his word and "feelings". Just because I am not allowed to prove that fairies don't exist doesnt mean squat. Lets get those 2 Devin blades on the line and 4 more plus a $1000 minimum buy in with some betting odds and lets see who comes out with a wide grin and a fat wallet.

No point in continuing further. I don't care for being called a liar by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

I never called you a liar. I just said you don't any proof that I can argue with beyond your own recollection. I believe that you felt that your two knives have different experiences but that does not represent the masses of knives available.

Even my own experiences are purely subjective and does not represent the majority. Which is why I am saying lets get a dozen knives and 20 or 30 chefs and put some money down. We need a Damascus vs Kasumi/Cladding face off. I think we could get one of those food channel kitchens and a big audience and find a sexy hostess with big breast to run the odds and collect the bets.

You may not be a liar, but you will be broke when I walk away with your money.

Can you provide any proof that any of your knives cut better than a $5 Walmart special?

Thought not. Really goes to show your credibility.

Can you provide any proof that any of your knives cut better than a $5 Walmart special?

Thought not. Really goes to show your credibility.
Depends on what you are asking me to cut. If you are asking me to whittle some wood I will choose those $5 walmart specials in a heart beat. My knives probably are not the best option for a knife throwing competition. Those brittle tips wont last 2 throws.

Pattern welded damascus steel is an art by it's self. Originally steels were forged and folded to remove impurities. Smiths then figured out how to manipulate the layers to create pleasing patterns.

It is possible to mix steels with different properties to increase toughness or wear resistance, others are used to increase the contrast between layers. Using two simple carbon steels will likely not result in any increase in performance.

Proper forging of any steel will bring an increase in desired properties.

Hoss

Any admins around? This thread could use some cleaning. Thank you.
Ohhh come on matus. The thread was over after the first page or two. Now people are having some fun.

This place really sucks when people play the threads must always follow topic line. Stuff evolves.

Thanks Hoss for bringing things into perspective despite my unrestrained foolishness.

Now I will be taking 2 damascuse gyutos and I would like them delivered by Labor Day 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ohhh come on matus. The thread was over after the first page or two. Now people are having some fun.

This place really sucks when people play the threads must always follow topic line. Stuff evolves.
Yes, hafl of this thread is off topic and not even fun. Why should snyone looking for an information go through all that gibber gabber before making it to the answer of Devin?

Yes, hafl of this thread is off topic and not even fun. Why should snyone looking for an information go through all that gibber gabber before making it to the answer of Devin?
Sorry but if you are going to be the fun police Devin's comment isn't even on topic and should go.

The discussion was damasteel not damascus.

Since the main offerings by Damasteel that I noticed ARE damascus I wanted to point out that those pretty patterns have nothing to do with performance if that is what the op was looking for.

As far as the actual profile or heat treatment I have never held one and can't comment.

Since the main offerings by Damasteel that I noticed ARE damascus I wanted to point out that those pretty patterns have nothing to do with performance if that is what the op was looking for.

As far as the actual profile or heat treatment I have never held one and can't comment.

The Patterns are an afterthought when choosing damasteel for proformance. The particle metallurgy and Hot Isostatic Pressing is what makes damasteel special, giving it its increased performance.

Oi some patterns can be etched into sharp ass saws, how cool it that for tomatoe performance :bigeek:

Oi some patterns can be etched into sharp ass saws, how cool it that for tomatoe performance :bigeek:

It's actually genius, I think you just cracked the bread knife problem. Flat Bevels for thinning, strop in a micro bevel, deep etch for serration. R&D Dalman GO

This is innovation that will have everybody here kicking themselves when some random company does this and nobody here gets any credit.

Although you will ruin those beautiful natural stones lol 😆😆😆😆😆😆

This is innovation that will have everybody here kicking themselves when some random company does this and nobody here gets any credit.

Although you will ruin those beautiful natural stones lol 😆😆😆😆😆😆

I actually recently qouted a guy (opening a fancy place) for 50 damasteel steak knives on that idea, but that steel ain't free lol.

I actually recently qouted a guy (opening a fancy place) for 50 damasteel steak knives on that idea, but that steel ain't free lol.

50?!?! if its a tasting menu place(fancy) that must be a huge place or they are not thinking of how many main courses will be down at once maximum.

Wootz steel, naturally toothy, Rich Ferrur does nice patterns with it.

I have considered having him make a steak knife for me, but I have found a Geshin Kagero petty very good for the task. Great for cutting up the small stuff too. John freaked when I told him its purpose, but I have had no chipping issues using ceramic plates, even on the occasion of hitting the cutting edge instead of just the tip. Still thinking about the wootz though.

Hahaha sometimes Japenese knives are tougher than people realize despite the hardness rating.

Wootz steel, naturally toothy, Rich Ferrur does nice patterns with it.

I have considered having him make a steak knife for me, but I have found a Geshin Kagero petty very good for the task. Great for cutting up the small stuff too. John freaked when I told him its purpose, but I have had no chipping issues using ceramic plates, even on the occasion of hitting the cutting edge instead of just the tip. Still thinking about the wootz though.

That's interesting to me - did you want him (Rich Ferrur) to make a steak knife of crucible wootz? Do you already have any wootz knife which you use for kitchen works?

Back