DHL Import Duties

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with DHL attempting to collect an import duty payment? I had a handle repair done by Robert in Australia and on it being shipped back, I get a waybill for $104 yesterday and it increased to $194 tonight. I tried calling DHL but the office was closed.

This amount seems excessive. Any pointers to handle this?

Thanks

Duties are derived from declared value. Declared value and insured value are often (if not always) the same. If this is the case, and Rob insured the package at full value, you would be on the hook for importing an expensive knife, not just a handle. I have no experience with repairs/rehandles and value as it relates to imports. Maybe someone else has better insight.

if you can prove its not a new item and just personal goods being returned (i.e. with outgoing receipt, original purchase info, etc), you should be able to avoid customs. But if its new, includes something new, etc., customs and duties are the law of the land.

I once returned a knife to an EU maker for a little work, included the original receipt in the paperwork and wrote “return to manufacturer” on the customs form. Even with all that we still got hit with an import tax. Sucks being at the mercy of uncaring government employees with no practical recourse.

I had a knife shipped from Germany to USA, value about $1,000. DHL. Import duties were about $90. They also held it up because it said "laser" on the box and they thought it was an actual laser. I replied about it immediately, but they took their sweet time getting back to me about it. That time added $90 of "storage fees" to the bill. Had to fight them for weeks to get that $90 back, but they gave in eventually.

The only knife that was hit for import duties was also shipped by DHL - that’s out of about 20 knives that I’ve purchased from outside the US. Stateside DHL has blocked export of kitchen knives (twice) that I tried to ship to New Zealand. Reason for return to me was “weapons”. Both times they razored the box open thru the side of the box (why not open at the end?) - one time getting the back of a Kiri box with a Tsukasa Kitaeji gyuto (🤬🤬🤬) The DHL CSRs didn’t give a flip about the damage and hassle (plus the fact there are no import restrictions on kitchen knives to NZ) - Shippo did eventually refund the shippping fees and lucky the buyer was a friend and cool about the damage to the box.
Will never use DHL again

if you can prove its not a new item and just personal goods being returned (i.e. with outgoing receipt, original purchase info, etc), you should be able to avoid customs. But if its new, includes something new, etc., customs and duties are the law of the land.
Jon , if the value of the item is over 1000aud ( around usd 600 arm ) you will be charged with processing fee regardless if the item is coming back etc , I found out the hard way

not sure about australia, but i've done higher value ones between here and Canada with a customer who has successfully avoid import duties

Jon , if the value of the item is over 1000aud ( around usd 600 arm ) you will be charged with processing fee regardless if the item is coming back etc , I found out the hard way
Were you not able to argue it?

Back