Diamond Plates

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chang

Gay for Gyutos
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now I currently have a CKTG 140 grit diamond plate and I’m not really a big fan of it. looking to upgrade.

Has anyone used the JKI diamond plate? Is it good? Or should I just suck it up and grab an Atoma/DMT?

I mostly use my diamond plate to flatten stones and create slurries if needed.

I like JKI 140 diamond plate for exactly the purpose you want, but I haven't used other low grit diamond plates so don't know how it compares to them

Hopefully soon(ish), I'm going to pickup the large lapping plate from JKI. That thing sounds like a beast and what's needed for Shapton Pro 120.

I've had the JKI flattening plate for several years. Like. It replaced a DMT XXC that I didn't like t'all.

Stand it upright in a garage or closet? I'm hoping it'll fit in one of my drawers... otherwise it's standing up in the closet.

The best plate for flattening or creating a slurry I've ever used is this one by a mile.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/theres-a-new-king-of-flattening-plates-in-town.39715/

I wish someone in North America would start importing those plates. I did contact Nobori Hamono but between my non-existent Japanese and Ryota-san's very limited English communication kind of broke down regarding the nicer 15mm base plate and I let the matter drop. However, with this prompt I may revisit the issue.
I have the CKtG 140 plate and the Atoma 140. I'm somewhat tempted to order the 600 grit and use my existing 140 for stones from 1k down, and the 600 for finer grits including JNATS but I don't know if there would really be any benefit to buying the 600 as opposed to the 400 grit. Any educated opinions?

Atoma 140 is better flattening plate than JKI offering. I have both and JKI wore off quite quickly compared to Atoma.
If you are in US - JKI plate might make sense since it is cheaper otherwise go Atoma.

Atoma 140 is better flattening plate than JKI offering. I have both and JKI wore off quite quickly compared to Atoma.
If you are in US - JKI plate might make sense since it is cheaper otherwise go Atoma.
Yeah, I think Jon has said that his diamond flattening plate has similar longevity to a DMT plate, but that an Atoma 140 will last roughly twice as long. Can't remember exactly where I read this though, so don't quote me on that.

I wish someone in North America would start importing those plates. I did contact Nobori Hamono but between my non-existent Japanese and Ryota-san's very limited English communication kind of broke down regarding the nicer 15mm base plate and I let the matter drop. However, with this prompt I may revisit the issue.
I have the CKtG 140 plate and the Atoma 140. I'm somewhat tempted to order the 600 grit and use my existing 140 for stones from 1k down, and the 600 for finer grits including JNATS but I don't know if there would really be any benefit to buying the 600 as opposed to the 400 grit. Any educated opinions?
Here ya Go....
https://knifewear.com/products/kensho-diamond-plate?variant=31913928949808
I have a Diamond bench trueing stick with 36grit. it helps for clearing up clogs and roughing up the stone surfaces for better sharpening.

[...]
I have a Diamond bench trueing stick with 36grit. it helps for clearing up clogs and roughing up the stone surfaces for better sharpening.

Oooh, what's the Diamond stand for? Is it constructed *with* diamonds? Or intended for use *on* diamonds -- or bonded-diamond items, anyway -- ?

Back