difference nakaya heiji and gesshin heiji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me iT was 26250 for knife +4850 saya + 2400 shipping to the netherlands + 1600 Paypal=35080= 250 euro=345 dollard

With all the extra costs it's About 450 dollar wich is 330 euro

I got Heiji Santoku in SS from him directly and find it to be on a thick spectrum. Pretty much impossible to cut onions with ease for example. In addition I am not to fond of the steel, does not seem to hold edge to well. Latter could be as well my sharpening mistakes.

NO Heiji knives are thin at the spine. Nonetheless, I've used a few Gesshin Heijis and own one and, although they don't cut like lasers, I've never had a problem with onions and they have good food release. The geometry of Heijis is different than many other makers, but one of the best characteristics of Heijis is the food release.

I'd venture to say that, if your Heiji didn't cut well out of the box, it wasn't ground as well as it could have been. But, if it cut fine at first and now doesn't, it's your sharpening.

Its a parallel import versus local retailer comparison. Frankly, the main difference is just a matter of principal. JKI's a brick & mortar shop trying to promote a family of product but with its own costs. Honestly, some people are excited saving that 20-30% or whatever and there's no changing their mind. And reality is the product could come out pretty much the same.

But through JKI you try to price out a little of the uncertainty--you get a QC inspection before purchase (in fact you could go in and do it yourself) and some degree of maintenance support post purchase if for whatever reason the knife suffers any damage. I assume you plan to use the knife for a long time at this price point--that is a real scenario unless you're in the industry yourself. You also have a local expert on your product who can advise you on how to get the most out of it.

Prior to that, even under assumption Heiji-san does give you a knife with great F&F, a lot can happen to the knife when its travelling via EMS half way round the world. If it arrives at your door with a broken tip or whatever, you'll most likely pay the difference and more getting it fixed. Sending it back to Japan will also be a real pain if you are in the US.

But, yes, there's a real chance you could get practically the exact same thing for cheaper-you mainly give up soft benefits. end of day, your money's on the table so you can do whatever you'd like.

He wants to ask heiji to make a knife with a 2mm spine though. Edipis, you talk about how much you love the shoulders on your heijis all the time, right? Am i missing something here? It just seems to me all the great stuff heiji is known for would be lost with a blade that has a spine thats only 2mm thick. Please correct me if im wrong.

It was a 270 I wanted him to make, and they are big, big knives. I figured having the knife be 2mm at the shinogi would make it perform more like a longer 240, while retaining the shape. Heiji-san seemed to think it would work.

take the base price of the knife, add a better handle, a says, custom charges, and you get pretty close to JKI's prices.
at which point you could support the family who made you aware of the product in the first place.
I support small business all the way.
the internet could potentially kill small business, please don't let that happen.
peace

take the base price of the knife, add a better handle, a says, custom charges, and you get pretty close to JKI's prices.
at which point you could support the family who made you aware of the product in the first place.
I support small business all the way.
the internet could potentially kill small business, please don't let that happen.
peace

the only thing that has me going through heiji over JKI is the time frame. id gladly give them the business if they had some in stock, or a more set idea on when more stock might be in.

i only listed the price as it seemed to be inaccurately discussed compared to what i was quoted.

I live in. The netherlands. An other reason i did not. Bought from jki is the huge shipping costs. IT was About 100 dollar versus 2400 yen in Japan. I don't know how much dollar that is but it's Way cheaper

I wouldnt mind paying extra just to get the burnt chestnut handle and saya from jki. Seriously, those are the nicest burnt chestnut handles ive ever seen. But if what i want isnt in stock at jki, i wouldnt feel bad just ordering direct instead.

So do you thinks it's à great knife to buy direct from nakaya.
I have orders iT whit chestnut handle.

So do you thinks it's à great knife to buy direct from nakaya.
I have orders iT whit chestnut handle.

How comfortable would you be taking care of any problems that might arise? Shipping knives to Japan and back gets expensive quickly. Unless shipping costs or import duty fees are prohibitive, I'd prefer to purchase from a trusted vendor.

Vendors know what people in the west value in a knife, and are able to communicate that to the maker. I had a vendor apologize for the amount of time it took to fulfill an order, because the handle on the first three knifes he got from the maker were rough. Besides doing quality control, a vendor can help match up a knife to a user's preference. Mistakes are going to happen, I'd rather have somebody who knows who to work with a maker instead of trying to go it alone.

Jay

I didn't read through this whole thread, but I will say that purchase price, QC, guarantee, ease of purchase, and Jon's specs are a large part of why they are priced as they are. Jon's guarantee is worth it alone.

I didn't read through this whole thread, but I will say that purchase price, QC, guarantee, ease of purchase, and Jon's specs are a large part of why they are priced as they are. Jon's guarantee is worth it alone.

agree with all of this.... hope he gets some stock soon!

I don't know much about engraving, but excuse me if I think this one Heiji did of my family name looks pretty cool

If anyone is interested Japan-tool has a couple of 210mm KU swedish carbon gyutos in stock at the moment, also a couple of 210 santokus.

A 210 Heiji semi stainless santoku has been my home knife for the last year + 1/2, I love it!

today i'm gonna pay the knife direct from nakaya heiji. i have requested a little bit thinner spine. he made a drawing of the knife
[/IMG]

no, but basically it's approximately 2,5 mm at the spine and it tapers down to 2 mm at the tip.

why don't you just get a yusuke 2.2mm white #2?
i already have a richmond kohetsu gyuto wich is approximately 2,1/2.2 mm. now i wanted to try a little bit thicker knife.altough i have requested for a bit thinner it's still thicker than the kohetsu. unfortanutely i already ordered the knife.

It is very unfortunate that you will have to wait a few months before the knife arrives :lol2:

It is very unfortunate that you will have to wait a few months before the knife arrives :lol2:

yes, he said it's approximately 4 months :crying: :crying:
these months are going to be killing

Back