DIY Audio or OCD to the next level

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
think BIG....my best friend bought a Telefunken M15a Magnetophon, wow what a sound (a direct to tape recording made for a radio program)

telefunken-m15a-1-4-inch-2-track-master-tape-recorder-2.jpg

does not ring a bell, other than Zappa... A telefunken Mike?
(Almost bougt a couple of Telefunken/Neumann CMV3 some years ago, the famous tube mikes from the heydays of the NSDAP)

does not ring a bell, other than Zappa... A telefunken Mike?
(Almost bougt a couple of Telefunken/Neumann CMV3 some years ago, the famous tube mikes from the heydays of the NSDAP)
Zappa's Joe's Garage. It's a long story. Give it a listen--my adolescent brain loved it, and it's still a fun, if somewhat off-color, musical story about the evils of music. The allusion was to a Telefunken vacuum tube (presumably). And "pluking" was, well, what you could call sex back in the day I suppose.

I like Zappa!
will do!
I corrected my memory—Joe’s Garage Act II Scene 11 “Sy Borg” refers to a “Telefunken U-47” which is a mic. I always assumed it was a tube given the delightfully raunchy context, but the size and shape of a U-47 mic makes it even raunchier. 😂

Regardless “Telefunken” always makes my inner 14 year old giggle a bit.

…now back to your regularly scheduled DIY audio thread

Neumann made U47's as well. The long body versions with VF-14 tubes are amazing, the short body FET versions are mainly used for kick drums ;)

Well in “Joe’s Garage” the shape is used in a totally different non-audio way!😉
This should make you exited then and still fit in the theme of this thread..!

Here is an original U47 next to a tube mic I build from scratch. Mine held up very well.
IMG_6775 kopi.jpeg

Last edited:
Telefunken is sort of Neumann, in those days all the companies were intermingled.....AEG Telefunken, Neumann, Klangfilm, Philips, Zeiss Ikon, andso-on

Came across a stash of Panzerholz (Delignite) and could not resist...only one issue; the slabs (1100x2400x45mm) are WAY too havy to handle alone (s.g.1.4), with two is about manageable...

IMG-20240411-WA0000.jpeg

The Panzerholz is for vibration control in specific places, like a shelve under the Server one for the DAC, also plan on making brackets to support the speaker magnets out of it (lowering distortion)

For cabinets etc I'd never want to use panzerholz, I now have far more than I need so I think much of it'll be dispersed amongst a few friends in this crazy hobby...

Back