Do You Yakatori?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Livers are filters. In most systems, filters catch bad stuff and are then discarded. I feel this applies to animals as well.

:)
That is a bit of a gross oversimplification, the liver does not store bad stuff like a filter would...it processes both good stuff and bad stuff. It's more like a chemical plant than anything else. It does store some stuff it cannot process, which IMHO is why liver is best from young animals.

Your kidneys mainly expell bad stuff, still even that is not a filter, unless it's one with constant cleaning flow.

Liver is actually containing high protein, low calories (unless you hit that liver from an animal with a history of alcohol abuse) and they contain many vitamins, besides that...IMHO it can taste YUM!
both pure (foie gras, which to be honest is not a healthy liver) and processed (leberwurst, pate etc)

That is a bit of a gross oversimplification, the liver does not store bad stuff like a filter would...it processes both good stuff and bad stuff. It's more like a chemical plant than anything else. It does store some stuff it cannot process, which IMHO is why liver is best from young animals.

Your kidneys mainly expell bad stuff, still even that is not a filter, unless it's one with constant cleaning flow.

Liver is actually containing high protein, low calories (unless you hit that liver from an animal with a history of alcohol abuse) and they contain many vitamins, besides that...IMHO it can taste YUM!
both pure (foie gras, which to be honest is not a healthy liver) and processed (leberwurst, pate etc)

No guts. ;)

With Black Friday sales going, a konro might be nice to buy. Any guidance on sizes? Any downsides to a larger one like 30-36” ? Can I fit 8 skewers simultaneously on a 24” with sufficient heat? Stainless (Teruhime) vs DE (kaginushi)?

I expect that size increases the amount of Binchotan by a lot, which is expensive. Given it burns long I'd go for the smallest size feasible for the amount of skewers you want to grill simutaneously.

Last edited:
With Black Friday sales going, a konro might be nice to buy. Any guidance on sizes? Any downsides to a larger one like 30-36” ? Can I fit 8 skewers simultaneously on a 24” with sufficient heat? Stainless (Teruhime) vs DE (kaginushi)?
24", the size I have, seems like plenty for 8 skewers. I am new at this, so I only put 6, but that's only because I need more practice to be rapid enough to manage 8 skewers at once.

I expect that size increases the amount of Binchotan by a lot, which is expensive. Given it burns long I'd go for the smallest size feasible for the amount of skewers you want to grill simutaneously.
As long as the depth or width doesn’t change, then I don’t think you have to spend more on binchotan. You would just have more length as a warming zone.

As long as the depth or width doesn’t change, then I don’t think you have to spend more on binchotan. You would just have more length as a warming zone.
Am I overlooking something? If the length increases I'd expect you need to use more Binchotan even when depth and width don't change. Or do you mean that one could use less and use the unfilled (with binchotan) space as warming zone? (which indeed is true IMHO)

Am I overlooking something? If the length increases I'd expect you need to use more Binchotan even when depth and width don't change. Or do you mean that one could use less and use the unfilled (with binchotan) space as warming zone? (which indeed is true IMHO)
Fill one half with charcoal, leave the other half empty as a warming zone.

Personally, I'm hard pressed to see how a double-width Konro would be justified, unless you are cooking for at least six or more people.

What’s a “double width” konro ? Is a half meter a single width? Say you needed to cook regularly for 2 adults and 3 kids and occasionally for 4 adults and 5-7 kids. Plus there’s the whole occasional-ness of yakitori anyway, which we can ignore for now.

Each turn in scenario A is 2 skewers. Each turn in scenario B is 1. For reference, most decent gas grills can handle about 30-36” (someday giant Crown Verity, you will be mine!).

What’s a “double width” konro ?

I was thinking of number 2 and 4 in this image.

s-l1600-3.jpg

Yup, the latter is what I meant. You probably lose some heat to the unfilled part, but I don’t think it would be a deal breaker. Even with my small grill I make a descending stack of coals so I don’t have everything blazing hot at once. For me it helps keep some things warm when I finish off the rest.

Back