Drywall screen for flattening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PappaG

Reaction score
Does anyone here actually use drywall screen for flattening? I guess I don't mind using my atoma for flattening, but I'm trying out a lot new stones lately and was reading up on screen being an effective (and cheap!) method for flattening stones.

Can I buy the precut sheets from home depot and use a drywall screen hand holder? Or should I just get a new atoma?

Does anyone here actually use drywall screen for flattening? ...

I have, but.... You need something hard and flat under it (e.g. stone floor tile or counter top cut-out), it's a filthy messy setup, and the screen will wear out so I'm not sure it's really cheaper long term. I recommend it to people balking at the cost of a diamond flattening stone for its low *initial* cost. (Since Jon has a good diamond flattening stone at $55, I don't really think drywall screen is a good choice.)

Why is it messier than a diamond flattening stone? I guess I need to try to see for myself. I have a bunch of kings I want to flatten. Thought I should save my atomo for my better stones...

A bunch of what kind of Kings, though? Except for those big green bricks of #200 silicon carbide, I wouldn't hesitate to flatten #800-#8000 Kings with an Atoma #140 or #400. Although, if I owned a #1200 Atoma, which I don't, I'd be reticent to use it to lap stones considering what Tools From Japan Stu, I think it was, wrote a while back.

And even if we're talking about a bunch! of very dished Kings, considering how soft they are, you can use virtually anything (a tile, brick, etc.) to really bear down on them and wear down the high spots -- hell, rub them against each other. Then just do the final lapping & flattening using the Atoma, light pressure and plenty of running water.

Anyway, that's what I'd do.

None are very dished, but still: 300, 800, 1200 and 6000 to be exact.

Why is it messier than a diamond flattening stone? ...

So you're going to make me think it through!?!! :)

I guess primarily I find it messier because it is less compact and less constrained. You can use a diamond plate over a bucket or tray (or a sink, if you don't worry about clogged drains) and keep everything contained very easily. With the drywall screen, you are spread out on a flat surface making gritty mud that, for me, dribbles off your tile / cutout / glass plate spreading to your counter or table top. Yes you can be "heroic" and add a sheet pan and towel or work in a big tray or something, but that's all extra effort (and expense, if you're starting from scratch) and it's all to avoid the cost of the diamond plate that works (a little) better and lasts longer.

he he. alright. Maybe not worth being as cheap as possible...

I used drywall screen for flattening, works in a pinch but once I got my first diamond plate I never looked back again. Such a PITA.
For major flattening cinder block works.

Back