Easy way to seal a handle.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalmRoyale

Reaction score
Wilsor has this great epoxy based wood sealer that's literally as thin as water. A set costs €11 (it's two component) and I just poured it in an old glass en let the handle sit in it for an hour. Because it's as thin as water the wood doesn't stop absorbing until it's fully saturated. Unfortunately I didn't have a glass tall enough to fully immerse it so I poured it over the bolster with a small brush every few minutes. When it's cured it's as hard as regular epoxy and it basically turns a wooden handle into a solid, non-absorbing material that doesn't decay.

20211211_153105.jpg

Last edited:
Wax with mineral oil sounds like an easier way seal a handle. Although you haven't specified from what elements you are trying to seal :)

If it's epoxy based does it means it needs to cure?

Thats very inexpensive for that type of product. Amazon doesn’t sell it in the USA. I’ve been using CPES from below:
CPES

The above takes a few days to cure. I use it as primer on exterior wood like newel posts. As the OP said, wood soaks it up and it dries hard.

You can also use wood hardener. It's like nail polish. Apply it with a paper towel. It'll dry very quick. I would not recommend it for stabilized handles but for wood or papermicarta it's really good 👍

Wax with mineral oil sounds like an easier way seal a handle. Although you haven't specified from what elements you are trying to seal :)
Water and sweat. That's pretty much it.

If it's epoxy based does it means it needs to cure?
Yes, it needs to cure a few hours like any epoxy. The reason I used this set from Wilsor is because I'm a shipwright and I work on a shipyard. We always have a few sets of these at work in the wood shop and my employer gave me this one.

Wilsor has this great epoxy based wood sealer that's literally as thin as water. A set costs €11 (it's two component) and I just poured it in an old glass en let the handle sit in it for an hour. Because it's as thin as water the wood doesn't stop absorbing until it's fully saturated. Unfortunately I didn't have a glass tall enough to fully immerse it so I poured it over the bolster with a small brush every few minutes. When it's cured it's as hard as regular epoxy and it basically turns a wooden handle into a solid, non-absorbing material that doesn't decay.

View attachment 155583
can you link it? Thanks

Latest posts

Back