edge pro

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not? Because it can only go to 6 degrees or because of other reasons?

Yes, you can't get a low enough angle without jumping through hoops and even then you can't blend the thinned portions of the blade into the rest of the blade face (distinct shoulders).

Be well,
mikey

When I started I almost went with an Edge Pro. Idiot proof (for even this idiot) 400 bucks (ouch). Perfect edges every time. What could go wrong?

I got much of the same advice you're getting and decided to try free hand. I've scuffed and scratched through every knife I own. Have dropped close to a grand on rocks. Edges are not perfect. But I've learned much. Got some help on some I screwed up. The knives consistently are sharper when I'm done than they were when I started. And while I've not yet reached any kind of "zen" state, I enjoy it.

So overall do you think it was the better path? Because the things you have mentioned (stone cost, scuffing etc....) might have been lessened or not occurred with the Edge Pro? I'm just curious if you think it was the better route aside from the enjoyment aspect. If sharpening was just a task for the sole purpose of putting a good usable edge on your knives, would you still have gone free-hand knowing what you know now?

Not trying to be critical or anything of that matter, just wondering if it was worth it if you discount the enjoying it part?

So overall do you think it was the better path? Because the things you have mentioned (stone cost, scuffing etc....) might have been lessened or not occurred with the Edge Pro? I'm just curious if you think it was the better route aside from the enjoyment aspect. If sharpening was just a task for the sole purpose of putting a good usable edge on your knives, would you still have gone free-hand knowing what you know now?

Not trying to be critical or anything of that matter, just wondering if it was worth it if you discount the enjoying it part?

I purchased an edge pro around 8 months ago. Already free-handing long before, just wanted to diversify and try something new at the time. After sharpening a few knives the first week of ownership, I haven't had the urge to use it. I found myself concentrated on the T.V. rather than on the task at hand. It can get your knives sharp with little skills as the basic skill set needed is easy to grasp. As mentioned before, it's short-coming are hard to ignore: thinning, tip-adjusting, asymmetrical sharpening, speed, etc.

A good sharpening set-up can be had at the same price as well.

Yes.

The stone cost is because I got a little stupid, I could have stayed with a basic three stone set-up and been fine. Well maybe with 1 800 and just 1 nautural....

Scuffing is part of learning. There is a sentiment here to practice on cheap knives to learn so that one doesn't "ruin" good knives. I think one would have to do something very wrong for a very long time to ruin a knife. I've started digging that hole and when I realized I should stop digging I've sent knives to Jon, DaveM and Korin to "unruin" them. I would still send off good damascus for thinning but that's just knowing my limitations.

And knowing how to sharpen has some value in and of itself. I take diamond plates to deer camp, s&g's to friends kitchens (if asked) or take friends knives home with me. And can leave them sharper than they were.

I've had to sharpen knives for students in my knife skills class on several occasions, b/c either they had to use the beaters in the kitchen or brought something that wasn't really functional. I've done it with a variety of tools from diamond steels, to v-sharpeners, to whet stones...based primarily on what I was handed to sharpen. it never fails to get peoples attention when you strop on brown paper bags or cardboard too! Opens up a good discussion about what's going on in these cases.

I haven't tried the bottom of a coffee mug yet though!

Yes.

The stone cost is because I got a little stupid, I could have stayed with a basic three stone set-up and been fine. Well maybe with 1 800 and just 1 nautural....

Scuffing is part of learning. There is a sentiment here to practice on cheap knives to learn so that one doesn't "ruin" good knives. I think one would have to do something very wrong for a very long time to ruin a knife. I've started digging that hole and when I realized I should stop digging I've sent knives to Jon, DaveM and Korin to "unruin" them. I would still send off good damascus for thinning but that's just knowing my limitations.

And knowing how to sharpen has some value in and of itself. I take diamond plates to deer camp, s&g's to friends kitchens (if asked) or take friends knives home with me. And can leave them sharper than they were.

Back