Edge retention

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiny

Reaction score
I've seen many posts on edge retention, but I haven't seen my question answered, or perhaps I've not read well enough. Anyway I have a few knives by British and a few Japanese knives. After sharpening, I can do a cut against the grain of a newspaper and they will all slide through without a problem. All knives I have will remain sharp to a more or lesser degree for a fair time, however non of them will be able to perform an against the grain of a newspaper cut after the first usage. Is that normal or should I put more care in the sharpening process?

I like it when the news I consume is divided into easily digestible bits.

Seriously, though, I’d make sure you don’t have a wire edge after sharpening.

Last edited:
Poor deburring. Don't leave the coarsest stone before the burr can't be reduced any further, and only flips. Deburr between each stone. End sharpening with light edge trailing strokes before deburring.
Jig user, perhaps ?

From what I hear you either don't sharpen enough (creating the burr) or you don't clean the edge properly. I can tell the problem is both, but I'd start feeling for a burr after every side you sharpen to be sure you hitted the very edge

The fact that it’s sharp initially, but then dulls quickly, usually indicates improper deburring, and the presence of a wire edge. See Benuser’s response.

Cutting food is about geometry, newspaper is about sharpness, one don't include the other

Back