EDM stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Refined, yet toothy
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience using edm stones on knives? I bought a set of these to help grind a hollow into one of my knives, for an S-grind. The knife is stainless clad carbon, and it just feels terrible to use the edm stones! The sound is horrible, and the action is not smooth at all. It feels like the stone catches in one place, making a scratch, then slides a little then scratches somewhere else. I’m exaggerating, but it’s not pleasant. I’ve had more luck with 120 grit sandpaper, which seems to work faster and smoother. Did I buy the wrong kind of stones, or...?

Anyone have experience using edm stones on knives? I bought a set of these to help grind a hollow into one of my knives, for an S-grind. The knife is stainless clad carbon, and it just feels terrible to use the edm stones! The sound is horrible, and the action is not smooth at all. It feels like the stone catches in one place, making a scratch, then slides a little then scratches somewhere else. I’m exaggerating, but it’s not pleasant. I’ve had more luck with 120 grit sandpaper, which seems to work faster and smoother. Did I buy the wrong kind of stones, or...?
Yes sadly this is the type of finishing stone for working really hard steel (it eats even the most wear resistant stuff well, great for finishing elmax mono and similar), and like you experienced it will gouge soft clads. The ones that should work best here (I believe, you might be well off asking the manufacturer or seller for advice) are the soft roughout stones in the bottom here. I have used the ro-med with good success on soft stuff. General Polishing Stones - BORIDE Engineered Abrasives

Reactions: ian
I'm sorry I refenced them edm stones and not finishing stones, but I believe I did also mention to stay away from the orange ones 🙃

Yes sadly this is the type of finishing stone for working really hard steel (it eats even the most wear resistant stuff well, great for finishing elmax mono and similar), and like you experienced it will gouge soft clads. The ones that should work best here (I believe, you might be well off asking the manufacturer or seller for advice) are the soft roughout stones in the bottom here. I have used the ro-med with good success on soft stuff. General Polishing Stones - BORIDE Engineered Abrasives

Oh, sorry, I didn't even see your response here earlier today.

Thanks again. :)

I'm sorry I refenced them edm stones and not finishing stones, but I believe I did also mention to stay away from the orange ones 🙃

btw, I found an application for the orange ones: they worked quite well to slightly alter the machi on a knife. Probably the other ones you referenced would have worked too. The size is most convenient though!

Back