Endgame Collections

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stay at 5-6 knives at a time. I’m too broke of a line cook for this hobby to have a true collection , although I’ve certainly seen a fair amount of knives at this point come and go. My current kit is super dialed and I love it
Currently:
Kemadi wrought clad bulat 240x56mm 277g
Kagekiyo white 2 240 k-tip gyuto
Masamoto 180 mukimono
Konosuke white 1 330mm yanagiba
Cck 1303
And (because I cleaned a knife shop’s back room and found it) and unknown 165mm deba

And yeah natsuya are pretty in their own way but I don't like the color. Clashes with all my beautiful blue stones

I suppose I have a soft spot since they remind me of the rocks in the southwest where I grew up. Blue stones are such a treat though. I think I'll keep an aizu forever out of principle.

Thanks for the insight in the Tsushima. I got the sense they weren’t a standout stone in many ways. The bite is so key.

Haven't been posting anything or bought any knives for half a year. I guess I'm qualified? lol

As implied, I have been making deeper connections with my collection for quite a while, including but not limited to an S-grind honyaki from Tony Laseur, a heavily thinned ZKramer SG2, a Konosuke YS-m, and a Myojin Riki SG2. As much as I enjoy each of them, I have to say nothing beats the Myojin. It is truly the end game.

I don't have to mention the grind or the practicality of its stainless nature, the steel (heat treat) itself is legendary. A few years ago when I first reviewed the knife, I thought the steel is somewhat too hard to be sharpened. Until recently, an epiphany happened when I hit the Myojin on my ultra hard razor finisher. None of my other knives could survive this stone, however, a quick sharpening of the Myojin resulted in a "laser" - hair splitting fine yet aggressive like no tomorrow. What's more, the edge stays like that for many many sessions, which reminds me of the mythical Tamahagane from Iwasaki.

I stay at 5-6 knives at a time. I’m too broke of a line cook for this hobby to have a true collection , although I’ve certainly seen a fair amount of knives at this point come and go. My current kit is super dialed and I love it
Currently:
Kemadi wrought clad bulat 240x56mm 277g
Kagekiyo white 2 240 k-tip gyuto
Masamoto 180 mukimono
Konosuke white 1 330mm yanagiba
Cck 1303
And (because I cleaned a knife shop’s back room and found it) and unknown 165mm deba
That's a clean and efficient rotation right there

Strictly speaking for me my obsession / focus has always been on stainless material systems (aerospace grade) given my background combined with a love of cooking and sharpening ... cheap stainless is horrible to sharpen and worse to maintain (but I tried to do it for a long time and then found a Devin).

After a short period I was lucky enough to find Mr. Jon Broida/JKI and that was an epiphany … love that guy & his wonderful family … can’t say enough at so many levels.

My only thoughts are that along this journey you start to look at esthetics whether that is in the overall construct, handle, saya, etc. or are just looking for a unique blade style (for butchering/slicing/etc.) and that took me in many different directions. At some point I then focused on how cool it would be to invest in some of these folks trying to make a living at what I consider an extremely difficult enterprise (knife making). So I reached out and contacted them after all I had some money and they are very cool people ... FWIW - it made a lot of sense for me and it has been very rewarding to be a small "part" of that growth in their business & lives (I do the same things locally trying to help those folks trying to get a footing in what they do if they are good people).

Certainly been a lot of fun … mostly just being a part of a great group of folks … I really hope someday to put together a PNWG but not sure if I could pull that off on the peninsula … TBD

Knives/sharpening/KKF will (hopefully) be a part of my enjoyment for a long time to come … Do I need to get off my a$$ to actually get to Wild Boars ECG … life & work have a tendency to get in the way … but YES is the answer to that ...

Knife wise - not exactly sure how many I have ... sad but true as I have been having to travel too much and not spend enough time cooking ... trying to fix that
There is a lot of great stuff efficiently packed into this post. It highlights a difference between *needing* a set of knives (especially for pro cooks) and wanting to explore the world of knives due to curiosity. And of course having the financial means to explore.

For me, the endgame -- if the game was simply to have much higher-performing knives then the old soft stainless Wusthoffs -- was reached within the first year, after obtaining 210 and 225 Hiromoto AS gyutos, and parer/ utility/ suji from Pierre Rodrigue. In the 12 or so years since, it has been mainly about buying various (and unneeded) knives from many western makers. I don't *need* them, and few function any better than those first knives, especially since the Hiromotos both got Dave Martell's 'spa treatment'.

These days when it's time to pick a parer, I mentally tick through the list: "Hmm, the Harner today, or the Ealy? Nope, going carbon damascus and picking up the HHH. Yeah, Randy's a great guy. I hope he's doing well. Damn, it's been a few years now since I last talked to him. Delbert, too. Glad we have Butch fairly local to us; I love his XHP blades."

The last couple of years I've decided not to buy any more knives, so that has resulted in picking up no more than 4 or 5 each of those years. A few were KKF group buys knives from makers that were not easy to get knives from, so it was worth giving them a shot (and the two knives are very nice), Some were from makers who have faded from the spotlight, and the owners needed to sell; great chance to add something from that maker to the collection finally.

I try not to buy into the hype these days, similar to the stock market. Keep $ set aside, and when an opportunity presents itself be ready to act. I picked up a few Martells from Dave when they were languishing in the BST subforum; fantastic knives, and surprisingly underappreciated. I have added DTs when the customer who ordered a knife backed out.

For the most part the knives I have added over the years are artisan knives. Usually they are from makers I have talked with/ corresponded with in the past. I am happy to support the craftsmen/ artisans who make kitchen knives well. It's a really tough way to make a living. Even if their gyutos sell for USD $1000 most still do not earn what is considered a decent hourly rate, and (if in the US) don't have healthcare coverage unless the spouse has it through their work. Making all elements of the knife is amazingly inefficient. The Japanese have it right when they use a handful of different people make the knives, so one excels in forging, one in sharpening, one in handles, etc. That leads to lower prices for the consumers while improving the ability for the makers to earn a living. The western makers that do it all solo have the deck stacked against them. But, to me at least, it is a more desirable product to own. And some can combine talents to help a bit, such as Randy Jr making damascus that Randy then turns into finished knives.

The other aspect that keeps me in the knife game is social. I've met a lot of people through ITK and KKF over the years, and some are good friends. The forums attract the whole spectrum of professions and personalities. Some are professional cooks and chefs, some are engineers, some work in the trades, some are medical professionals and lawyers, etc. It's a great mix of people. I've met many people at the old ECGs (when still in PA), and try to add more each year. I've met a dozen or so KKFers from out of town when they visited DC, and even hosted a couple of them.

It's become more of a people thing for me than a knife thing. There are a lot of new makers throughout the world, and I enjoy learning about them and seeing their work progress. I'm amazed at how many makers there are in the DC region these days, and how talented they are -- yet most are completely off the KKF radar. I definitely enjoy meeting them and hearing stories about their journeys. And, when possible, supporting them buy buying a knife.

If the people/ social aspect disappeared from KKF, and threads were only about knives and their characteristics, it would hold no interest for me as I already have way more knives than I need. The people are what keeps it as an ongoing hobby (pursuit?). The knives bring/ tie the people together, but the people keep it interesting and worthwhile.

And who knows, maybe @MontezumaBoy will make it here for an ECG -- There will be quite a few people happy to finally see him in person. And if not, maybe he'll come to DC for work or vacation, or I'll wind up out his way, and we can get a nice dinner somewhere.

If you really want to see an end game collection search on instagram knife.knackery and see the best knife collection to date. Those are the rarest of the unicorns and the best smiths in my opinion.

If you really want to see an end game collection search on instagram knife.knackery and see the best knife collection to date. Those are the rarest of the unicorns and the best smiths in my opinion.
I think he got the most boring/hyped/expensive collection of Japanese knives on IG. And I personally has about zero interest in them, as I believe western makers are leagues ahead of Japanese makers when it comes to artisan knives.

I think he got the most boring/hyped/expensive collection of Japanese knives on IG. And I personally has about zero interest in them, as I believe western makers are leagues ahead of Japanese makers when it comes to artisan knives.

I feel weird about this page. It’s a great collection, but it just feels…fetishized. Like, I have a long abiding love for some really rough and basic knives. My Murata and Mac have been tipped, over sharpened, thinned and badly hand sanded by yours truly. I love it. Take it camping. Want to be buried with it.

This feels like a museum. Museums aren’t bad, but how many people need one?

😂👍

It's become more of a people thing for me than a knife thing. There are a lot of new makers throughout the world, and I enjoy learning about them and seeing their work progress. I'm amazed at how many makers there are in the DC region these days, and how talented they are -- yet most are completely off the KKF radar. I definitely enjoy meeting them and hearing stories about their journeys. And, when possible, supporting them buy buying a knife.

If the people/ social aspect disappeared from KKF, and threads were only about knives and their characteristics, it would hold no interest for me as I already have way more knives than I need. The people are what keeps it as an ongoing hobby (pursuit?). The knives bring/ tie the people together, but the people keep it interesting and worthwhile.
Think this is the real end game for the knife hobby for me. Instead of knives, I am more interested in the people who make and/or use them, how they are made and the story behind these people. You don't have to own a knife to enjoy all that.

That said this is why I feel my Massdrop Kamon is the most special knife to me. A Kamon is a Kamon, but more importantly it's my only KKF Massdrop knife. If my knife interest ever really wanes, this will be the reminder of the time I spent here and all the relationships I formed on KKF. Well, maybe a bit of that tangling as well.

I did a lot of experimenting to learn what I already knew. :)
reminds me of this quotation Jon Krakauer used in Into Thin Air:

“But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind.”
― Thomas F. Hornbein, Everest: The West Ridge

I feel very satisfied with my current knives, in fact when I consider them I think I should probably sell a few, but then I'd have to make difficult decisions and I so far have successfully avoided getting rid of any that I don't already have on the BST board. I also have an abundance of low-end knives that if they can't be sold in a local BST where there is no shipping charges, they'll probably just stay in the knife block for guests/children or with my camping gear until I give them away to this or that friend, although I'm more likely to try to talk them into buying a quality knife.

So I feel like I've come to the endgame, but then there is this forum about knives and I keep learning new things. Just the other day I was reading a discussion about yanagibas, a type I've never used or owned and someone linked to a very reasonably price yana on JKI, and if I had the cash on hand I would have probably ordered one already...

Are you talking about all artisan knives? Because I think that if we talk about traditional kataba knives, japanese makers are still ages ahead.

There is a lot of great stuff efficiently packed into this post. It highlights a difference between *needing* a set of knives (especially for pro cooks) and wanting to explore the world of knives due to curiosity. And of course having the financial means to explore.

For me, the endgame -- if the game was simply to have much higher-performing knives then the old soft stainless Wusthoffs -- was reached within the first year, after obtaining 210 and 225 Hiromoto AS gyutos, and parer/ utility/ suji from Pierre Rodrigue. In the 12 or so years since, it has been mainly about buying various (and unneeded) knives from many western makers. I don't *need* them, and few function any better than those first knives, especially since the Hiromotos both got Dave Martell's 'spa treatment'.

These days when it's time to pick a parer, I mentally tick through the list: "Hmm, the Harner today, or the Ealy? Nope, going carbon damascus and picking up the HHH. Yeah, Randy's a great guy. I hope he's doing well. Damn, it's been a few years now since I last talked to him. Delbert, too. Glad we have Butch fairly local to us; I love his XHP blades."

The last couple of years I've decided not to buy any more knives, so that has resulted in picking up no more than 4 or 5 each of those years. A few were KKF group buys knives from makers that were not easy to get knives from, so it was worth giving them a shot (and the two knives are very nice), Some were from makers who have faded from the spotlight, and the owners needed to sell; great chance to add something from that maker to the collection finally.

I try not to buy into the hype these days, similar to the stock market. Keep $ set aside, and when an opportunity presents itself be ready to act. I picked up a few Martells from Dave when they were languishing in the BST subforum; fantastic knives, and surprisingly underappreciated. I have added DTs when the customer who ordered a knife backed out.

For the most part the knives I have added over the years are artisan knives. Usually they are from makers I have talked with/ corresponded with in the past. I am happy to support the craftsmen/ artisans who make kitchen knives well. It's a really tough way to make a living. Even if their gyutos sell for USD $1000 most still do not earn what is considered a decent hourly rate, and (if in the US) don't have healthcare coverage unless the spouse has it through their work. Making all elements of the knife is amazingly inefficient. The Japanese have it right when they use a handful of different people make the knives, so one excels in forging, one in sharpening, one in handles, etc. That leads to lower prices for the consumers while improving the ability for the makers to earn a living. The western makers that do it all solo have the deck stacked against them. But, to me at least, it is a more desirable product to own. And some can combine talents to help a bit, such as Randy Jr making damascus that Randy then turns into finished knives.

The other aspect that keeps me in the knife game is social. I've met a lot of people through ITK and KKF over the years, and some are good friends. The forums attract the whole spectrum of professions and personalities. Some are professional cooks and chefs, some are engineers, some work in the trades, some are medical professionals and lawyers, etc. It's a great mix of people. I've met many people at the old ECGs (when still in PA), and try to add more each year. I've met a dozen or so KKFers from out of town when they visited DC, and even hosted a couple of them.

And who knows, maybe @MontezumaBoy will make it here for an ECG -- There will be quite a few people happy to finally see him in person. And if not, maybe he'll come to DC for work or vacation, or I'll wind up out his way, and we can get a nice dinner somewhere.
I found myself in your story. I don't buy knives as much as I used to, but I still follow the makers and take a look on their newest products. Occasionally I also buy a few to satisfy the feeling of unboxing. Thanks for sharing!

Finally back to a proper keyboard again so I guess I'll join the storytime. First some background... that's really frames a lot of my choices on my knife journey.

-I'm Dutch, so I'm a born cheapskate who always has strong consideration for value and not overspending.
-I've always been very utilitarian. I don't care for nice stories, rustic charm, or paying a lot of money just for fancier looks or 'luxury', in the end it's still a tool.
-My knife journey was instigated by some healht issues that basically forced me to start taking nutrition and cooking seriously. The main goal is twofold: making food preparation more effective and more fun. Better knives have played a big role in that.
-When something's expensive I end up babying it, becoming extra careful, and thus very highly priced knives would make no sense to me as it diminishes its value as a tool.
-I'm poor, and since this is a result of chronic health issues I'll most likely remain so. That significantly limits my budget and reinforces my push towards bang for buck; maybe if I had more to spend I'd make some different choices in that regard.... though I actually doubt it (because if I wasn't sick I'd have more interesting ways to spend my money).

So the whole journey for me started off... probably around 10 years ago or so. I'm skipping over the cheap garbage I bought before that which was mostly a waste of my time and money. Didn't really know where to start with proper knives, or whether to pick a 210 or a 240, or what else, but I knew I wanted to start cheap, especially since I still had to get half-decent at things like sharpening and maintenance. Ended up with a 240 Carbonext gyuto and it served me very well up until today (although it's been customized quite a bit) and it's really been the knife I learned everything with. Was my only good knife for years and honestly I'd be fine if that was still the case.
I liked the appeal of the semistainless steel, but honestly I could just as well have ended up with a Misono, a Fujiwara, a Tojoro or whatever and probably the experience would have been similar.

After that really I've just slowly been expanding a bit to get a feel for my preferences and add some more variety. So I added the 210 Carbonext, added a honesuki, added a bunch of other things in the meantime... then played around with that for a while and realized at some point that really, the only way to know if you like something is to actually try it for yourself.

So over the last couple of years my goal has been to buy knives that were mostly as diverse as possible to test my preferences, while also shopping for good deals I just happened to run into, and ticking off boxes of knives that always seemed interesting to me. So I got my some classics like Masamoto KS, Ashi Ginga, Takamura R2, Mazaki, Yoshikane SKD... got a cheap Y. Tanaka, got me some Robert Herder, and even some Wüsthofs when they were on sale.

Tried different profiles, sujihikis, 210 gyutos, 240 gyutos, 270 gyutos, petties, etc... I incidentally built up a bit of a collection even though that was never the goal. The goal was to try different things and figure out what my preferences really were. Sold very few up until now - only the Yoshikane, and I still see myself holding on to most, even if only for the sake of having a nice spread of variety.

Has the journey led to insights of my preferences? Yes actually. I found out I prefer monosteels over sanmai. I dislike iron clad, and at this point honestly I probably also have a slight preference for (semi)stainless over carbon - though I happily have both. I prefer lighter knives; they feel more nimble to me, so the whole workhorse thing is lost on me. Yes, I actually prefer cheap lasers over fancy heavy workhorses. A good taper on the front half of the blade, not just the first 5 centimeters, is also something that really makes me happy. And contrary to current trends I don't really like tall blades; I prefer around 250x50, 210x45. Can work with all lengths but if I had to pick one it'd be around 240-250, and I prefer gytuos to be at least 210. And ever since I discovered draw cuts I can't really care about food release.

So at this point I feel like I just.... have so much variety that there's really not a huge need to spend much more. Now that I know a lot of my preferences there's also a lot of knives that don't even make sense for me to buy since I know they just won't be 'perfect' for me. Sure there might be knives that work 5% better if I spend 500 bucks more, but that's just not a sensible way for me to spend my limited money. So my collection is probably modest by most people's standards here, but it's pretty much endgame for me.

...which I'll probably laugh about in 10 years when I still end up doubling the collection somehow... :rolleyes:

I keep following the things that interest me, and I'll keep going down the paths that are available underneath the umbrella of kitchen knife appreciation that I choose to spend my free time on. I really like making and fixing things, so I'm much more into those aspects at the moment than I was when I started out, and I really like when I have an "ah-ha" moment about some aspect of how these tools function even after using them since I was 10 or 12. Something a simple as making my own version of @ian's breakfast potato a few times a week, using every knife in the rotation, has been one of the most personally informative things I've done as far as understanding what their shape, size, and geometry translates to on the cutting board. I'm very happy to continue to spend my time here because a little offhanded thing like that can have such an outsized role in my abilities.

I know it's very common to have knives come in and head out quickly, but I think it's great when I go grab one that's been out of rotation for a while and my perception of it changes from what it used to be. All the time that it's been in a cabinet has allowed me to refine my skills, what I'm able to perceive, and how it's form affects it's function significantly better than the last time it was in use.

I don't know what the endgame looks like for me, because what I "like" is still too dynamic, but I at least have a very good idea about what it doesn't look like.

Latest posts

Back