Etching w ferric chloride advice for a noob

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive recieved some tips for using ferric chloride already and ive watched a few things on YouTube...just wanted to start a thread and see what new insight I could gather for using ferric chloride to reduce reactivity on some of my nasty iron clad carbon knives.

Don't drink any.
Don't leave anything in it too long.
Martell put a thread up a loooong time ago with a step-by-step. I used that as my guide.

You can dilute it pretty heavily. Not sure my specific ratio but I mix like I'm making iced tea. Wearing rubber gloves and safety squints is always a good idea. I dip the blade in, let it sit for 30 seconds or so then remove and scrub with steel wool. Repeat until you get the level of etch you want.

Don't put it in an aluminum pan. Can't believe I'm admitting this but I did that years ago when I was using the stuff to patina nickel guitar parts. One of the dumber things I've done, but not the dumbest.

Don't put it in an aluminum pan. Can't believe I'm admitting this but I did that years ago when I was using the stuff to patina nickel guitar parts. One of the dumber things I've done, but not the dumbest.

So plastic or glass container? Dilute w hot water? Scrub then repeat?

Any non-reactive container will do. Glass is ideal. I'm using an old juice jug. Adding heat is supposed to increase reaction, but you'll fine it's not necessary. We use heat when making circuit boards.

Better to do multiple, very diluted dips than a single, concentrated dip. Make certain your container (I use glass) has a tight fitting lid...the evaporating solution WILL corrode nearby metals. Oh, and remember to neutralize the blade after removal from the FeCl.
-Mark

There's a whole thread about this somewhere that Dave started years ago. I'm mobile so I can't really search.

dilute with white distilled vinegar...i use a 50/50 ratio. neutralize with tap water just by rinsing it off.

brush it on, like this

[video=youtube;zNRQOwW-J-U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNRQOwW-J-U[/video]

Ive recieved some tips for using ferric chloride already and ive watched a few things on YouTube...just wanted to start a thread and see what new insight I could gather for using ferric chloride to reduce reactivity on some of my nasty iron clad carbon knives.

Sorry Craig, iron won't etch.

It may turn another color but it'll never be stable and will always rust/react.

Will ferric chloride change the look of stainless cladding? Is it necessary to get even coverage on the cladding or just the AS core of a San-Mai (not Damascus) knife?

Will ferric chloride change the look of stainless cladding? Is it necessary to get even coverage on the cladding or just the AS core of a San-Mai (not Damascus) knife?

All steels etch to some degree. Some get dark instantly (high carbon) while others (mild steel) start pitting quickly, whereas stainless seems to gray with differing levels of intensity.

Trying to etch just part of a blade makes me think "good luck to you". :D Yeah it's not going to likely look good unless you can figure out a way to mask off the pattern or stay away from the cladding, etc. I'd just do the entire blade, see what I get, and then work on the project from there.

Hmm another question for you, Dave. When I've etched my knives until they're dark, the resulting surface leads to a lot of drag during cuts. Are a dark etching and smooth cuts mutually exclusive or is there some technique one can employ to mitigate this? 0000 steel wool or high grit sandpaper help a little, but they lighten the finish up quite a bit.

It looks like something goes on the edge of a Kato (you can see how the Damascus (and core steel) is both above and below the etching:
554FBFDB-7105-440E-9856-DA7AB80D5BAC_zpsnqezisdf.jpg

Check what the electronics amateur community has written up on the stuff over time, some of them have probably gotten more experience using it than anyone else (not me, always been a fan of persulfate chemistry for such purposes).

Back