Favorite nakiris?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would only add that my Toyama 180 nakiri has thickness of the blade ca 1mm @ 10 mm behind the edge. That is on the thin side IMO. One should also not forget that edge of the nakiri is rather heavily used because it is used primarily for chopping, so very thinly ground knives will need a mini/micro bevel to give the edge certain toughness. I actually managed to sharpen my Toyama too thin at the edge.

To each his own, but i favor Watanabe-heavier nakiris. I have two 180mm Itinomonn nakiris that show this: one kasumi, one kurouchi. The former is lighter, the latter heavier. The lighter one (kasumi) feels too nimble for me and the heavier feels better in the sense that it offers enough momentum when push cutting.
As for favorites, Watanabe, Shigefusa kurouchi and Teruyasu Denka.

I am in the same camp as Marcelo - I have a Kanehiro 165 stainless clad AS (150g) on loan from a friend but felt like I wanted a heavier & bigger one. Toyama 180 with just under 200g fits me like a glove :)

Neither light or heavy is what I want.

I want a nakiri with a thin but not fragile edge as well as some heft to let the knife do a lot of the work. Yet I don’t want it so heavy that it deters from frequent and rapid chopping. I staccato chop with a nakiri with a barely perceptible push motion.

I find my sweet spot with gyutos to be between 6.5 and 7.5 oz. With 165mm nakiris it’s less. Around 6.3 to 6.5 oz.

I figure I want a 180 to weigh about 6.8 oz. The Watanabe is at the high end of my range. I’ll try a Kochi and Kurosaki, and if I am not satisfied, a Watanabe.

I would add a Denka nakiri (wa version): lighter than Watanabe, but still heavy enough (or balanced right, not sure) to take more advantage of its weight on push cuts. Never weighed those nakiris, that's only based on my feeling when those are being used.

We all know that Watanabe nakiri is great, but can anyone gives an insight on 180mm Kochi stainless clad nakiri?

I have researched the whole forum but no good reviews to be found.

I have a Kochi stainless clad nakiri and love it. It is my only nakiri so I don't have anything to compare it to. It has a bit more heft than a similar gyuto, but is extremely thin behind the edge and falls thru anything you are cutting. Not sure how it compares to the others mentioned here, but I highly doubt anyone would be disappointed in their purchase of it.

Finally, someone with a Kochi nakiri! Thank you for the input, you just made my decision harder, [emoji23].

Finally, someone with a Kochi nakiri! Thank you for the input, you just made my decision harder, [emoji23].

It's hard to remember the Watanabe so much now, but I want to say the Kochi is heavier. Definitely thinner behind the edge. I make a decent amount of paper thin onion preps (pickled onions, fried onion frizzles,) and this does the job effortlessly.

I have a masamoto KK (Kurouchi) which I love - don't need to baby it at all - slightly less finesse but incredibly practical (even though all carbon).

It's hard to remember the Watanabe so much now, but I want to say the Kochi is heavier. Definitely thinner behind the edge. I make a decent amount of paper thin onion preps (pickled onions, fried onion frizzles,) and this does the job effortlessly.

I think as a cutter, there is no wrong choice between the two, it all comes down to preference. Hmm.. I think I may have a solution to this.

The Kochi and Watanabe are listed at similar weights, around 190 grams. I intend to buy a Kochi once I finish a few passarounds.

At some point I want to try a Watanabe. The asymetric grind might be an issue for me as a lefty. Most with such grinds don't affect my cutting but a few steer on me unless I adjust how I cut.

Haven't seen much comment to that effect regarding the Watanabe, though. Nor I have I found sharpening such knives 50-50 to be a problem.

I just got a toyama-noborikoi nakiri and sure like it but I have no frame of reference as I have not owned any others. Was going to go with a Watanabe or Toyama.

How reactive is the Toyama? Is it a180mm, and if so, how weighty does it feel?

How reactive is the Toyama? Is it a180mm, and if so, how weighty does it feel?

I have the 210 Nakiri and it is like most carbons: 3 weeks in a pro kitchen or 3 months home use and the natural patina takes over.

How reactive- I did some veg, chicken, potato, and onion,slight patina forming. Did not taint any of the food or my cooking is not so good.*

180mm- with a pinch grip it only feels slightly front heavy which I really like.

Caveat- I am not a knife whore nor am I an experienced chef so my opinions are very subjective. I have owned Masakage Koishi knives and a Kato workhorse as my references.*

20170419_123059_zpszhpq3rra.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Seems quite manageable. Might have to consider the Toyama given all the good things I hear. I assume the grind is 50-50.

Just starting to play with nakiri myself I'm but really enjoying the toyama...the kato is great as well just wish it was a little taller. Obviously I also prefer weight and height and still getting used to a different cutting style.
In order of preference...

Toyama 210
288 g
64.5 mm tall
4.3 - 2.3 taper

Kato ku 180
229 g
53.25 mm tall
6.1 - 1.7 taper

Shigefusa ku 165
186 g
52.75 mm tall
7.5 - 1.4 mm taper

Shigefusa ku 180
218 g
52.5 mm tall
6.9 - 1.5 taper

Say Lumo, how is the Toyama 210 comparing to the Kato 180 after some use? Hoping to compare notes in the future!

Shigefusa Nakiri 165mm Kitaeji blade.. its the best one i´ve found...

Latest posts

Back