Favorite natural stones under $200

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently I have been getting into sharpening and comparing different stones. Over the last month I picked up some of the commonly recommended synthetic stones and now I am curious about natural stones. I am not willing to pay more than $200 on an individual stone at this time but I am curious to try a variety.

What are some of your favorites that have current prices under $200, what are they good at or why do you like them? From my perspective anything is fair game - any country of origin, any grit, full size or koppa, though let’s say it should be a decent shape and size for the task and should come from a known reputable vendor.

I know there is a ton of variation but I think it would be helpful to hear your experiences to get a general sense of how I might sort through the “budget” options.

Last edited:
An ikarashi is essential to my progression, and is under 200 from JNS the last time I checked. It’s full size, very thick, and a good looking stone.

Thanks for the replies so far. I was looking at the Ikarashi at JNS and might grab one of those at some point. I did just get a Hideriyama from JKI that I haven't tried yet, but looks like Oouchi is more popular here so far.

Also, jumping the gun a bit, I got an Aoto and a Jun Sei Honyama koppa from Bernal and an Amakusa and Akamatsu from Strata. Collectively, these span coarse to fine grits and will keep me busy for a while, but its good to have some other options in mind to snag when the opportunity arises.

An ikarashi is essential to my progression, and is under 200 from JNS the last time I checked. It’s full size, very thick, and a good looking stone.

JKI large Oouchi

JNS Natsuya during a sale

Favourite stones under $200:

An aizu I got from Iida and a good hard Natsuya I got from @Froztitanz; all good for sharpening and polishing. Good contenders for sharpening would be a bench sized Tsushima Nagura I got from Iida as well, the Igarashi I got from JNS, a muddy Tanba Aoto from Matsunaga Co. (Bernal carries them too), and some interesting koppas from Ikkyu.

Honestly all of the stones I have I'm pretty happy with, and they were all around 100 each. I have an aoto for sharpening from burnal, that puts an amazing edge on a knife.

The others are koppas I got from @TRPV4 , and I'm pretty happy with those as well. First I got an asagi barber stone with a few naguras, really good for when you want a very refined edge that still has some tooth to it. Then I bought an awesome little uchigumori koppa with renge, and a tenjyou suita koppa. Both are awesome for kasumi finishes.

I got my Uchigumori from Nutmeg, very nice stone, giving kasumi & razor sharp. Price just little bit over 200USD, but worth every penny.

aizu from an ebay seller. paid maybe $50 all in. I use this stone all of the time for end hand touch ups. cheap ones release lots of random abrasive so they aren't the greatest for polishing but they produce a great edge.

Back