Favorite sweet potato knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to be working at an establishment that goes through cases upon cases of sweet potatoes and so I was wondering what people’s favorite sweet potato knives are. Looking to maybe go around the 300 USD mark for the knife. I’d love to hear what knife and reasons for why you love to use it on sweet potatoes. Thanks!

If price wasn't an issue, I'd have to say my Mert Tansu Honyaki. I believe I like it better even than the toyama gyutos I had. And yes the ccks can go through sweet potatoes well in my experience. I would expect a large one to do well. The CCK i used/have was a small cleaver. I'd like to put my Takeda cleaver on big ole sweet potatoe. I would expect it to do very well. I cut a sweet potatoe with it a while back, and I think it did very well. But I may have to refresh and revisit that. The Fuji Fms i think will go through them very well too. I put a white through a big ole one recently and it did very well. I may have to get some big sweet potatoes and do a comparison with a few knifes. Its' been awhile since I've done that. I have a blue FM funyaki that I'd like to see how it does. Also I think my 270 Jiro might do very well.

If price wasn't an issue, I'd have to say my Mert Tansu Honyaki. I believe I like it better even than the toyama gyutos I had. And yes the ccks can go through sweet potatoes well in my experience. I would expect a large one to do well. The CCK i used/have was a small cleaver. I'd like to put my Takeda cleaver on big ole sweet potatoe. I would expect it to do very well. I cut a sweet potatoe with it a while back, and I think it did very well. But I may have to refresh and revisit that. The Fuji Fms i think will go through them very well too. I put a white through a big ole one recently and it did very well. I may have to get some big sweet potatoes and do a comparison with a few knifes. Its' been awhile since I've done that. I have a blue FM funyaki that I'd like to see how it does. Also I think my 270 Jiro might do very well.
I’d love to snag a Mert Honyaki... but definitely not in the budget right now. Maybe I’ll have to check out the large cck for now.... I have a tsubaya branded Y Tanaka that does pretty well on them so hearing about Fujiyama doing well makes sense. Thanks for the great suggestions.

My Fujiyama really surprised me the first time I used it on sweet potatoes. Went through with remarkable ease. Stands out against anything else I’ve used, Toyama included

Was going to suggest something by Y. Tanaka as well. My B1 dammy has been laughing at root veg and I'd be more than okay with using it on the line. Laser BTE, middleweight at the spine. Great all-rounder.

Pulling with a not toothpick suji is underrated for general prep as well.

One blade I just thought of... are the cck cleavers good for sweet potatoes? I imagine the extra weight helps them go through dense product but if the grind isn’t that great I bet the Watanabe/Toyama would be better.

I love my Toyama, but if you are cutting big & tall sweet potatoes a lot, especially if you chop, I think a thin Chinese cleaver like CCK will win.

I suggest to start with CCK first, if I am wrong, I am only responsible for a small loss 🤣

I'm not a pro in any way so take what I say with as much salt as you like. I like a thinner knife for sweet potato. Something pretty thin behind the edge but with a robust enough spine to stop it twisting too easily in the cut works for me. More skilled knife wielders might want a full on laser, which should wedge less in the taller pieces of sweet potato, as long as you don't let it twist in the cut.

I'm thinking something like an Ryusen Blazen, Akifusa, Gesshin Kagero, Tanaka Nashiji (or even the new Migaki that James has), Sukenari hairline, Wakui hairline, Yoshikane Nashiji/ Amekiri, Kurosaki Shizuku or a Kippington laser.

Watanabe nakiri could be worth a look too.

Back