finger stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They’re for polishing. It’s easier to get an even finish with stones that are small enough to fit under the pad of your finger, especially if there are lots of concavities in the geometry of your knife, since then it is impossible for a flat bench stone to contact all parts of the blade.

The finish can look nicer than if you use sandpaper, e.g. it’s basically impossible to create any contrast between the look of the core steel and cladding using sandpaper.

They’re for polishing. It’s easier to get an even finish with stones that are small enough to fit under the pad of your finger, especially if there are lots of concavities in the geometry of your knife, since then it is impossible for a flat bench stone to contact all parts of the blade.

The finish can look nicer than if you use sandpaper, e.g. it’s basically impossible to create any contrast between the look of the core steel and cladding using sandpaper.
thank you Ian. fast on the trigger and on point as always!!

Reactions: ian
Uchimugoris are popular, and I think JNS has a couple other types that can be good. Kinda depends on what steels you’re using them on. I’m not really a polishing expert though.

I too use them for polishing or removing unwanted discoloration/rust/etc.

Stone mud on a hard felt pad also works well. I use Windex as a lubricant. Here’s one I’ve started polishing.
9B5B4931-2FA6-4EF5-8CB1-072776C37ADB.jpeg
0CB8DC57-E9D6-4C12-9553-C5B844CB5883.jpeg

I've been experimenting recently with these: Kiita Fingerstones

I've been pretty happy with them. The finish is a little scratchy on core steel, but very smooth on cladding. I have been using them after a 6k arashiyama. I have very little experience, but the price was good. I'm looking forward to more experimentation

Back