First impressions & comparisons: Morihei Hishiboshi 500, 1000, 4000

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitchen-Samurai

Reaction score
I hope all of you had a Merry Christmas! Mine was certainly nice, not least since I got a new set of sharpening stones: the Morihei Hishiboshi 500, 1000, and 4000 splash & go stones.

These stones are fairly new to the market, and the information on them is limited, so I figured that sharing my impressions might be of interest to some of you. If you have any specific questions, please let me know and I’ll try my best to answer them.

The stones are supposed to have a ‘natural stone feel’, and work especially well on single or wide bevel knives, as well as for creating contrast between hagane and jigane. From my understanding, they are non-magnesia bond splash & go stones, which contain a mix of synthetic and natural abrasives. I should state that I have several years of sharpening experience on synthetic stones, but no personal experience with J-Nats.

This is not a full review, but a first impressions thread. However, I have tested these stones in multiple sharpening sessions, with different steels (carbon and stainless), and side by side with other well-known stones (incl. Gesshin stones, Naniwa Pro/Chosera, Shapron Pro, King).

This post will cover my first impressions on how this set performed on a Takeda NAS Gyuto (AS with stainless clad). In a later post, I will give you my thoughts on how they compare to other stones (see above).

IMG_0192.jpg

Here you have them, nice full-size stones (clearly bigger than, e.g., Naniwa Professional stones). I love the looks; I think the monochromatic color scheme along with the Japanese writing looks brilliant. However, the 500 is too dark (especially when wet), so it’s hard to see how much metal gets removed. They should have started with a lighter shade of grey. Also, the 1k and 4k are too similar in color. I have flattened all stones before the first sharpening, they were reasonably (but not perfectly) flat out of the box.

Morihei Hishiboshi 500: Even though this is a splash & go stone, it will absorb some water. That’s what most coarse splash & go stones do, and not a big deal for me. Water consumption during sharpening is very good for a coarse stone, you will need a couple of drops here and there, but nothing major. The stone feels nice and medium-hard, and the scratch pattern is even and what I would expect from a 400-500 grit stone. I don’t have any objective means to measure how quickly it cuts. My feeling tells me it’s medium to medium-fast, but, honestly, I don’t care too much about this, so take this with a grain of salt. You can work up some mud, though I wouldn’t call it a particularly muddy stone. I felt it benefitted from making a little slurry with my Atoma 140. Minimal contrast off of this stone, I had hoped for more. Might well have been my inaptitude, though. When wet, the stone gets so dark that you cannot really see whether metal is removed or not. All in all, a really nice coarse stone though.

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

Morihei Hishiboshi 1000: Although this stone also gets darker when wet, you can still see when metal is removed, so that’s not an issue. Nice feeling stone which is also medium-hard and can create some mud. However, as with the 500, I preferred it with a little more slurry from my Atoma 140. Just feels a bit more creamy. It is clearly finer/smoother than the 500, and holds water maybe a bit better. Apart from that, they perform similar. The scratch pattern is even but again, I was not able to create a decent contrast. First assessment: nice mid-grit stone, especially for wider bevels.

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

Morihei Hishiboshi 4000: Now we’re talking. Very smooth stone, creamy feeling, nice feedback, holds water even a bit better than the 1k. Lighter in color, so you can more easily see what you do. As it’s siblings, it benefits from a little head-start with the Atoma, and, again, I would guess it’s medium fast. The hagane gets nicely polished, while there is some haziness to the jigane. Not really a jaw-dropping Kasumi finish on my first attempt, but it’s a start. While I felt during my first sharpening session that both, the 500 and the 1k, are nice stones and worth the asking price, this stone kind of clicked with me immediately, on first assessment the stand-out stone of the bunch.

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

In my next post, I will talk about sharpening a stainless steel knife, and compare the Morihei stones to better-known stones.

Thanks for doing this. I'm very curious about these stones and look forward to future posts. I am especially curious about how the 1k compares in your experience to the SP1k and the Gesshin 1.5k SnG (if you have it). I hope someone else will pick up the torch and compare the Morihei 500 to the SG500. I'm also hoping someone will do comparisons of the Morihei 3k to the SG3k and the Morihei 6k to the Gesshin 6k SnG, the SG6k HC, and perhaps the JNS 6k and Arashiyama 6k.

Alright, here we go with part 2 of this first impressions post. I will try go give you some idea on how the Morihei stones perform in relation to other well-known stones (only those which I own and could use side-by-side). This time, I also sharpened stainless steel knives.

Morihei Hishiboshi 500 comparisons: These are my stones in the 400-500 grit range: Gesshin 400, Naniwa Professional 400, and the Morihei 500. I would love to compare it to the Shapton Glass 500 as well (if someone wanted to send me his for a comparison…). Since the Naniwa Pro 400 is currently in storage, my main comparison will be the Gesshin 400. For those who don’t know this stone: it is a very well regarded, fast, medium-hard stone from Japanese Knife Imports with a very smooth and even finish for the grit rating. Tactile feel and feedback are very nice for a coarse stone. I like it a lot. It is a bit thirsty and dishes a bit quicker than some of the harder stones out there, but in my mind, that’s easily offset by its ‘3F’ virtues (feel, finish, fast). The Morihei 500 also feels nice for a coarse stone, and has the advantage of being relatively splash & go (if that is an advantage to you). It is a bit harder than the Gesshin 400, might dish slightly slower, and holds water a bit better on its surface. However, the Gesshin 400 has a much better visual feedback (since you can easily see when metal is removed due to its lighter color) and produces a smoother finish. To my surprise, there was a bit more contrast on clad knives with the Gesshin 400 as well. Both are great stones with different pros and cons. Do you need both stones? Certainly not. Do I want to keep both stones? Certainly yes!

IMG_0230.jpg

Morihei Hishiboshi 1000 comparisons: These are my stones in the 800-2000 grit range: Naniwa Pro 800, Morihei 1k, Gesshin 2k, Shapton Pro 2k. This is a tough competition; these are killer stones (imho). I would say that the Naniwa and the Morihei are similar in terms of grit, the Gesshin 2k is in-between (we could arbitrarily call it 1500), and the Shapton Pro 2k feels the finest of the bunch. Best tactile feel and feedback: Pro 800. Fastest stone and most versatile: Gesshin 2k. Real splash & go, best finisher for stainless knives: Shapton Pro 2k. So, where does the Morihei sit in this comparison? I feel like I haven’t yet figured it out entirely. One could argue that it is one of the most well-rounded stones. It performs good to very good in all categories but does not excel in a particular category. And I didn’t find any apparent flaws. One could also argue that it performs best with single- or wide-bevel knives. I think I’ll need more time with this stone to reach my conclusions.

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

Morihei Hishiboshi 4000 comparisons: 4k is finishing grit level for me, so I will compare it to my main finishing stones, the Naniwa Pro 3k (many people think it’s more a 4k stone), and the Gesshin 6k (soaker). I would have loved to compare it to a Shapton glass (3k/4k) or the Gesshin synthetic natural or the JNS synth red aoto as well. But unfortunately, I have none of them, yet. As you can probably tell from my initial description, I like the Morihei 4k a lot. All three stones feel slightly different, but all are top-notch in the tactile feel and feedback department. The Gesshin feels very creamy, and a bit chalky, the Morihei feels also creamy, especially after raising a bit of mud, very smooth, less chalky than the Gesshin. The Pro 3k feels also great, but less creamy than the other two, it doesn’t produce mud, feels a bit harder. If I had to guess, I’d say the Morihei is not as quite as fast as the other two, but both are known for their speed. In terms of polish, the Morihei is probably the best of the bunch for creating some contrast on clad knives. I clearly prefer it to the Pro 3k in this regard. On the other hand, the Pro 3k might be a tad harder and faster, so potentially better for double-bevel knives or creating micro-bevels. The Gesshin 6k (not surprisingly) gives the highest edge refinement of the three, the Pro 3k and the Morihei 4k leave a bit more bite on the edge. These are three truly exceptional stones. For me the Pro 3k excels at double bevels or micro-bevels, the Morihei on wide-bevels or creating contrast, and the Gesshin 6k at quickly producing a more refined edge for, e.g., push cutting.

IMG_0233.jpg

I hope this was interesting to some of you. Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this. I'm very curious about these stones and look forward to future posts. I am especially curious about how the 1k compares in your experience to the SP1k and the Gesshin 1.5k SnG (if you have it). I hope someone else will pick up the torch and compare the Morihei 500 to the SG500. I'm also hoping someone will do comparisons of the Morihei 3k to the SG3k and the Morihei 6k to the Gesshin 6k SnG, the SG6k HC, and perhaps the JNS 6k and Arashiyama 6k.

Morihei 500 is better overall for me that the SG500, tactile feedback and cutting speed wise. The contrast is also better on Morihei, the only downside of Morihei is it's pretty thirsty for first-time use (either virgin first time or after not use for some time). While SG500 is you can use it straight away and water management is much easier.

Morihei 6k is probably my fav of all yet, the sharpening feel, the polish, the contrast and the bite. Arashiyama has similar polish and less contrast but it doesn't have a bite like the Morihei 6k. The 6K has a bite that I can use it for my Honesuki for cutting fatty meat and don't have any problem.

I did a bit more sharpening specifically on the Morihei 4k stone, in comparison to the Chosera/Pro 3k and the Gesshin 6k soaker. A couple of things became clearer to me, so I wanted to share it with you guys. I used my Takeda NAS Gyuto again.

1. Speed: this time I concentrated a bit more on speed, and it seemed to me that the Chosera/Pro 3k is the fastest of the stones. I say that because a) visually metal was removed more quickly and b) a burr was formed is less time. The Gesshin might be a bit faster than the Morihei 4k, but I am not certain about this. After I raised some mud (with my Atoma) on Gesshin and Morihei, both stones cut much quicker. Still, I would say Chosera/Pro is the fastest, then Gesshin, then Morihei. Again, this is not something of huge importance to me, but it might be for some of you.

2. Tactile feel: I first tried all stones without artificially raising mud. In this scenario, and with the knife I used, the Chosera/Pro 3k had the nicest feeling while sharpening, and great feedback as well. I found the Gesshin maybe a bit better than the Morihei in this scenario. However, things changed considerably when I raised some mud (using an Atoma plate) on the Gesshin and Morihei stones (I did not do this on the Pro 3k since I did not feel any need for it). Both stones benefitted greatly from this, to the point where I cannot really pick a winner in the tactile feel department anymore. All were really great, but slightly different from each other. I was surprised how much of a difference raising mud made!

3. Water management: I will compare the Morihei to the Chosera/Pro here, since both are splash & go stones. Both soak in a bit of water initially, and then hold it very well. If a higher-grit Shapton Pro is 10/10, then Chosera might be 8.5 and Morihei 8.

4. Final edge: All edges came out very nicely, and all certainly had enough bite left for me. Please note that I did not strop the knife (apart from on the stones), I tested the edge right off the stones. I cannot reliably state that any of the edges was really ‘better’ than the next one. Maybe the edge refinement went up slightly from Chosera/Pro to Morihei to Gesshin? Could I tell them apart, if I were blinded? Probably not.

5. Finish: I need to do more testing here. My feeling is that the Morihei and the Gesshin are better than the Chosera/Pro in this category, meaning more even, nicer looking, and more contrast (especially Morihei).

The Morihei should produce the best cosmetics of the 3. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if the Gesh 6k soaker produced an edge faster than morihei 4K, as the gesh 6k is very fast.
Great stuff so far, thanks for all the reviews. Any chance you could test on a different knife?

Great stuff so far, thanks for all the reviews. Any chance you could test on a different knife?

I tested them on the Takeda NAS and on some cheap stainless steel knives. I do have a higher-end stainless steel knife (SLD steel) at hand if that helps. Did you have something specific in mind?

Excellent write up, thanks for this! Great photographs go a long way and it's clear you have a strong sense of and capable vocabulary to discuss what you like about the stones. Good stuff all around.

I've been using a Morihei 1k and 4k for the last month now. I'm far less eloquent in my ability to describe what I like, but found my proof in the usage. At 1k, I've found myself grabbing more frequently for my Chosera 800. I'm more familiar with it, certainly, but simply like the feel more. At 4k, the Morihei feels like something special. It gives a decent polish but a really excellent edge. Very good bite and, until I get some jnats, will be my finisher for the kitchen. Point being, great stone that will get the job done and compares very favoribly to the (very strong) competition.

I have no experience with the 6k, but have seen nothing but positive impressions from members of this forum. Eager to see what others say.

Excellent write up, thanks for this! Great photographs go a long way and it's clear you have a strong sense of and capable vocabulary to discuss what you like about the stones. Good stuff all around.

I've been using a Morihei 1k and 4k for the last month now. I'm far less eloquent in my ability to describe what I like, but found my proof in the usage. At 1k, I've found myself grabbing more frequently for my Chosera 800. I'm more familiar with it, certainly, but simply like the feel more. At 4k, the Morihei feels like something special. It gives a decent polish but a really excellent edge. Very good bite and, until I get some jnats, will be my finisher for the kitchen. Point being, great stone that will get the job done and compares very favoribly to the (very strong) competition.

Kai, thank you for your kind words! I am glad you enjoyed my first impressions thread.
Also, it seems that you feel similarly about some of these beautiful stones.
I would be curious to know which knives you tested on them? Did you try to achieve a Kasumi finish? Also, did you use the stones with some kind of slurry stone (diamond plate/nagura) to bring up some mud or not? For me, that made a huge difference!

Great, thanks for the write up! Coincidentally, I emailed CKC for a recommendation/alternative to play with instead of my JNS red aoto just yesterday.

Thanks! That Red Aoto is definitely on my wishlist. Could be a nice follow-up to my King 800 for Kasumi. What are your impressions with the JNS red aoto?

Very helpful review and I have to agree to almost all of your thoughts and findings. I have been using Morihei 1K,4K,6K, and 12K since March/2019, and after summer, these stones have been the most used stones at my shop. I do sharpen customer knives professionally. I have not received my 500 and 8K yet. My latest stone shipment from Tokyo is on the way to EU, and after that with big hopes, I'm very curious to see can 500 replace Naniwa Pro 400 as it has been my de fact stone when I start to make dull knives great again. I have found 6K to be an excellent stone, but for some reason, as 4K is currently my #1 stone, I feel that 8K the one where I will jump next.

Anyway, there is a lot of excellent stones available as today I used the Shapton Kuromaku series from 120 up till 8K to make chipped VG10 greate again. This was a task that Morihei could not have done

So I have a question. Is the morihei 4K and 6k a no soak splash and go or do you guys soak it for like a minute before use?

They're splash and go but I still soak them for a minute or two as they're quite thirsty.

So I have a question. Is the morihei 4K and 6k a no soak splash and go or do you guys soak it for like a minute before use?
depend on where you live, it gets dry really fast. it needs to be soaked about 1 minute for the first time use (like shapton pro). Since the weather here is so dry, if I didn't use it for 3 days, it will dry up and need to be soak or run it under your water sink again. it doesn't take long and the binder is good that it doesn't crack (like Imanishi)

Very helpful review and I have to agree to almost all of your thoughts and findings. I have been using Morihei 1K,4K,6K, and 12K since March/2019, and after summer, these stones have been the most used stones at my shop. I do sharpen customer knives professionally. I have not received my 500 and 8K yet. My latest stone shipment from Tokyo is on the way to EU, and after that with big hopes, I'm very curious to see can 500 replace Naniwa Pro 400 as it has been my de fact stone when I start to make dull knives great again. I have found 6K to be an excellent stone, but for some reason, as 4K is currently my #1 stone, I feel that 8K the one where I will jump next.

Anyway, there is a lot of excellent stones available as today I used the Shapton Kuromaku series from 120 up till 8K to make chipped VG10 greate again. This was a task that Morihei could not have done

I thought 8K is the least favourite.. the contrast is so dull, it's better on the 12k. I don't know about the edge quality since I already have Karasu 9k it's a little bit overlap.

My experience is that especially the 4K stone can be used entirely splash & go. I just add some water, wait for a couple of seconds, add another splash of water, and then I‘m ready to go.

Last edited:
Back