five spice powder.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
I buy the stuff from Penzeys. everytime I use it, it lingers on my clothing and stuff. man, I love it. I got some stuck on my facemask, and I am not mad about it at all.

it is such a warming and inviting smell/taste. I just added a pinch to my chili-oil at home, and I can still smell it at my office at work. it might be my favorite spice..or group of spices.

what do you think?

Try it when making popcorn chicken and deep fried Thai basil leaves.
Sprinkle some more mixed with crushed pepper powder - Fun movie snack!

If you're a milk tea fan, add it in LOL!

You know that sweet smell meat gets before it goes fully rancid. To me, this is what 5-spice powder smells like. It's the only thing that I have that reaction to. Some people think cilantro tastes like soap and broccoli tastes bitter?... Me=five spice. It's a weird reaction.

Last edited:
You know that sweet smell meat gets before it goes fully rancid. To me, this is what 5-spice powder smells like. It's the only thing that I have that reaction to. Some people think cilantro tastes like soap and broccoli tastes bitter?... Me=five spice. It's a weird reaction.
When I read what you wrote my mind went immediately to southeast asian fish sauce. It smells like something I don't want near my mouth. Old gym socks? However, it is magical when balanced with other ingredients. I love it in so many things.

This, to me, is just further proof that Irony is a force of nature, not unlike the wind, fire, and other such things. 🤓

Back