• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Ashi Honyaki 300mm Gyuto Yo handle special order

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklip13

Reaction score
This will be the toughest knife to let go of, but at this point its going to have to happen.
I bought this knife a few months ago at the beginning of my training in Japan. It was ordered by by the store almost 10 years ago as a special request. Antler handle scales, Honyaki 300mm, folded carbon steel.
IMG_1828.jpg

these pictures are the best i can do on an Iphone 5c, forgive me
The spine is thick for an Ashi knife but the edge is still super thin. The tang in the handle is tapered too.
IMG_1830.jpg

here are the vivid swirls you see in almost no other Honyaki out there
IMG_1833.jpg

The knife will be shipped from Kyoto and may take me up to 2 weeks to send out as Im always at work during the time the post office is open. I apologize in advance.
I'm asking $3800... I hope no one is offended.
This is a very special knife from a blacksmith who isn't taking orders for even simple Honyaki knives currently. I hope this goes to someone who will take care of it and most importantly enjoy it as much as I did.

P.S. The knife has never been used and still has protective lacquer on it that you may want to take off before using it on food you will eat

not offended at all, this is a real unicorn and could even go for 5k usd and still sound reasonable!

Dear Jesus. This may be the most beautiful piece of metal in the world. Awesome stuff Jon, GLWS.

Wow ... 🦄
Thank god my bank account doesn’t read $3800 or rent might be a little late !
Good luck! I know you’re sad to let this one go :(
And without ever cutting with it ... the discipline !

Damn. Sad to see something like this having to be sold. Doubly so because I can't afford to take it off your hands. GLWS

Spectacular! These knives are true works of art, GLWS...

How much would this knife drop in value, if it were to be lightly used in a home kitchen?

How much would this knife drop in value, if it were to be lightly used in a home kitchen?

Definitely get some other people's opinions too, but as long as it's not scratched or rusted, I don't think the value will change very much . Also if you're planning on holding on to it, consider that in not so long Ashi san will retire and the value could follow the same trend as Doi san when he retired.

So, in reality has this knife been made recently or it is just just another 300 mm that’s been in circulation for several years? I’ve seen several 300 mm gyutos available over the years because they weren’t in demand. Who really needs a 300mm gyuto?

So, in reality has this knife been made recently or it is just just another 300 mm that’s been in circulation for several years? I’ve seen several 300 mm gyutos available over the years because they weren’t in demand. Who really needs a 300mm gyuto?

Well, the OP said originally it was ordered 10 years ago. I doubt anyone “needs” a 300mm gyuto, but then again who needs a honyaki 😀

Definitely a good point, one of the reasons the shop still had it in stock for sure.

Definitely a good point, one of the reasons the shop still had it in stock for sure.

While a good point to a degree sort of a redundant question... given who actually needs more than a wusthof or similar?

On a more related note... that knife is insane. If I had the coin I would jump on that in a heart beat

Back