D. Martell Gallery- Martell Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, Dave--when you said we could expect you to start cranking out knives with regularity, you really meant it! In pictures, at least, your last several rank among your finest ever. Can't wait until it's my turn!

Thanks David! I'm starting to figure this game out. If things stay on track your knife should only be few weeks (maybe a month?) away. :)

That buckeye handle looks awesome--and the knives aren't too shabby either. :doublethumbsup:

Congrats Don!

So I was asked to make a 180mm santoku and I accepted. Then came the time to actually make the knife and I struggled with the design. The thing is that while I've handled and worked on thousands of santokus I have little experience with using them so I've never thought a lot about what a santoku really is or what it should/could be. I spent a lot of time researching and toying about until I finally went with what I'd like to have if I was going to use one of these knives. Did I come up with something useful or did I fail? :dontknow:

Steel used is O-1, handle is redwood burl with a dyed Oregon maple burl ferrule

So anyway, here it is for your review and comments....

P1010002.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010011.JPG

Here is James' 240mm yo gyuto

Steel is O-1, the blade profile is of the new rocker style (1st production knife), full tapered tang, the handle is Arizona Ironwood with a redwood ferrule & copper pins

P1010014.JPG

P1010015.JPG

P1010016.JPG

P1010018.JPG

P1010020.JPG

P1010023.JPG

P1010026.JPG

I received two PM's on the santoku already....

1. Takeda-esque

2. Inspired by Rachel Ray's curves

I love it! :D

Just a little unsolicited endorsement here. I've made 1700 cuts of NY strip since I got my suji back from Dave in October, with one touch up run on the borosilicate rod. About 3000 left to go this month. After that, it may need a run on the stones. :biggrin:

Just a little unsolicited endorsement here. I've made 1700 cuts of NY strip since I got my suji back from Dave in October, with one touch up run on the borosilicate rod. About 3000 left to go this month. After that, it may need a run on the stones. :biggrin:

Dave, thanks for the feedback!

Here is Kenny's new 240mm western Martell gyuto. The handle is a real dark AZ ironwood, an African blackwood ferrule, & black G10 liners/pins were used. The full tang has been tapered for balance & looks. Ken asked that the handle look "sinister" and I tried my best to achieve this, the ironwwood is much darker in person and has a sort of flamed look to it, admittedly the pictures make it look dull and brown - stupid pictures!

Well anyway, I hope that it's close enough to Kenny's vision that he gets himself a lot of good use and enjoyment out of the knife, it was a pleasure to make. :)

P1010001.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010015.JPG

P1010016.JPG

P1010022.JPG

P1010023.JPG

P1010024.JPG

P1010025.JPG

That is one sleek looking handle. I must say form the suji I just got. The photos do not give the handles justice.

I love the geometry of this Gyuto; how the spine drops at the tip. Almost Santoku-like.

And don't get me started on the handle, really nice man. Especially love the combination of the wood with the black spacers, very subtle combination.

Thanks! Oh and yours is almost done Mike, hand rubbing the oil into the handle right now - coat #28. :)

I knew I felt a disturbance in the force. As if my name was suddenly one step closer.

Here is Mike's (Miles') 240mm Martell western gyuto. The blade is O-1 @ Rc 60-61. The handle is hidden tang construction using Moroccan Thuya Burl as the main piece with African Blackwood as the bolster.

The thuya is of the most choice premium quality supplied by Burl Source.

BTW, should anyone be interested, I have two more already built identical set ups to this handle (same exact thuya & blackwood) glued up & burned in ready to go onto a 300mm sujihiki and a nakiri. First to call dibs gets 'em when it's your turn...well....unless Mike wants a matching knife to this one, he gets first dibs. :)

This knife was won by Mike in a giveaway back in Feb, 2012. Mike's been very patiently waiting for this for a long time and I hope that it suits him and that he gets lots of good use from it. :)

*This knife was shown in a short WIP thread I did showing how I burn in a tang. See http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...ang-Handle-WIP?p=151121&viewfull=1#post151121 if you're interested.

P1010003.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010011.JPG

P1010019.JPG

P1010020.JPG

P1010021.JPG

Very nice knife, Dave! Makes feel a bit sad though, since I'm so far down on your list. :rolleyes: How's the balance point on a hidden tang vs a full tang?

Back