Gesshin 4000 ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grunt173

Reaction score
I was going to start this on the Sharpening Station but don't see where to start a new topic there.
I am looking for a nice stone to follow a certain 2000 grit stone that I have now. I haven't read to much about the Gesshins and was wondering just how good they are. What can I expect out of the Gesshin 4000 ? I pretty much want a 4000 to be my finishing stone.

I picked up one of these to see if they lived up to Jon's description.

It really surprised me. Stellar in terms of feedback and speed and that is from a person who prefers naturals. Fantastic value even at full price (got mine on sale).

Hey,
Me myself can wholeheartedly recommend you the Geshin 4k. Before I had this I've had 3 different 4k stones and didn't really like any of them. This one was pretty much love from the first grind. 😀.
It cuts very fast for its grit, dishes slowly and offers very good feedback. I like it so much that if it God forbid broke I'd order another one even though with me living in the UK the stone ended up being quite expensive between the shipping and import duties etc. It's that good.

Hey,
Me myself can wholeheartedly recommend you the Geshin 4k. Before I had this I've had 3 different 4k stones and didn't really like any of them. This one was pretty much love from the first grind. 😀.
It cuts very fast for its grit, dishes slowly and offers very good feedback. I like it so much that if it God forbid broke I'd order another one even though with me living in the UK the stone ended up being quite expensive between the shipping and import duties etc. It's that good.

Oh wow,you just can't get a better recommendation for a stone then that.Thank you.

I find it funny that we have 2 threads with literally the same title posted in basically the same time ...

I find it funny that we have 2 threads with literally the same title posted in basically the same time ...
Great minds...

In relation to the topic, would there be a benefit to using the 4K between the Gesshin 1k and 6k? I know the 1k splash and go feels closer to a 2k grit already, which is why I pose this question. (Sorry to derail)

Lol,me too. The first time I posed after I registered,it took several days to appear.I didn't know what was going on.Then all of a sudden,my post showed up out of no where.Bingo! Now I have two threads going. I feel special.lol

You do not really need a stone between 1k and 6k. If you were considering Gesshin 8k (which I do not have), than I recall Jon recommending the 4k between 2k and 8k.

Great minds...

In relation to the topic, would there be a benefit to using the 4K between the Gesshin 1k and 6k? I know the 1k splash and go feels closer to a 2k grit already, which is why I pose this question. (Sorry to derail)

Frankly,I don't see much of a benifit for the 4k between the 2k and 6k unless just to try something new.There are just so many options and most of them are good.

Thanks Matus, and Grunt I appreciate the imput. I've got a Aiiwatani on the way that I'm planning to use as a finisher after the 6k.

Yeah, gesh 4k is a finisher. You could totally use it as a bridge in your stone progression if you really wanted to, but it sounds like an overkill. Dropping $140 just to help an edge go from 1k to 6-8k doesn’t seem worth it to me.
That being said, you could sharpen to 6-8k and use a gesh 4k as a “touch up” stone between sharpenings. But the success of that strategy largely depends on the sharpening ability of the steel of whatever knife you’re using.

I actually use the Geshin as a touch up stone the most and it's the stone that sees the most of use in my sharpening. I like the bite of the edge it leaves. I've noticed that I've been using my JNS 6k a lot less since I purchased the Geshin as I find the combination of the Geshin and a leather strop to work very well for me.

I actually use the Geshin as a touch up stone the most and it's the stone that sees the most of use in my sharpening. I like the bite of the edge it leaves. I've noticed that I've been using my JNS 6k a lot less since I purchased the Geshin as I find the combination of the Geshin and a leather strop to work very well for me.

I assume you are speaking of the Gesshin 4k ?

How does the Gesshin 4K compared to the rika 5k? Anyone? Thanks

I don't know but I love my Rika 5k so much,I don't even know why I am considering a Gesshin 4000. Seriously,I really like the feel and service I get from the Rika.

Of course, sorry if there was any doubt.

No need to be sorry partner.I was just looking for some added reassurance.I am a guy who dated a women for 6 years before I married her just because I wanted to be sure.:biggrin:

The 5K Rika is a very good stone, used it most for Yanagiba's at work. Had two of the older models with the wooden base. Also liked the Kitayama 8K to work razor edges on carbon single bevel.

The Gesshin 4K is a fast stone. The feedback feels slightly different than the Rika. It raises a burr easy. For high quality carbon and Stainless like it as a finishing stone for Gyuto's. It is a pleasure to sharpen on.

Back