Greetings from the mountains of Virginia, USA

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just signed up and am interested in learning from the collective experience here. After having muddled through the past few decades with a Wusthof Classic. I have treated myself to two pretty nice knives in recent months- a Kramer Zwilling Carbon (the earlier version), and a Takamura HSPS Petty 150mm. The latter is probably the sharpest knife I’ve ever seen. I’m tempted to start using it for shaving rather than food prep. Anyway, I need to up my sharpening game to keep this knife as sharp as it is now (ootb). I’m also interested in finding something not too expensive in a full size gyuto to see if I can get used to that style of cutting. I look forward to participating.

Welcome to KKF.

For keeping the Takamura as sharp as it is, Shapton Glass 4k will be a good choice. Perhaps add a microbevel for edge stability....

Welcome to KKF.

For keeping the Takamura as sharp as it is, Shapton Glass 4k will be a good choice. Perhaps add a microbevel for edge stability....
I’ll have to add the Shapton 4k to my collection. Never tried to do a 10 degree bevel. With other knives I figure close is good enough, but this is going to need precision and probably a lot of patience since the steel is so hard. I’ll practice on the Kramer in the meantime.

My old stomping grounds. I'd like to go tubing down the New River right now. My beer would be a damn bit better than those days and probably, no definitely, a bigger tube😁

I’ll have to add the Shapton 4k to my collection. Never tried to do a 10 degree bevel. With other knives I figure close is good enough, but this is going to need precision and probably a lot of patience since the steel is so hard. I’ll practice on the Kramer in the meantime.
You will be afforded great advice here. It will get as technical as you would ever want. I'll defer the sharpening advice to others, but will say as different as knives can be they all have a edge bevel. 10 degrees on your laser, or 40 on an axe, find the bevel for that knife and sharpen there.

Back