Group Buy Interest Check: Laser 180mm Gyuto blank

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d be interested in skd12/a2 or aebl. I have a yoshikane in skd around 63-64 and a stainless ginga that I’m pretty sure is aebl at 61ish. IMO the skd sharpens better, but I wouldn’t want to grind it. With power tools I might be worried about overheating and wrecking the ht

I would be interested if he could remove the ht scale and may be even do some rough grinding so that the only thing left would be finial profile and sharpening, something that could be done on the stones in a few hours. Aeb-l sounds reasonable

Surface grinding is an option that he offers. 80 grit for $5 a blade, 240 grit for $10 a blade. I'm not interested in it, but others may be.

Would be more interested if it was carbon. Maybe AEB-L would be alright, tho. Guess that would be a better choice for a gift knife than a carbon steel.
I have used jt for blanks. He definitely has carbon steel options. The AEB-L heat treat feels good on the stones.

his prices for 1 offs are not crazy.. I would be curious if the bulk rate discount offsets the second shipping cost.

Z-wear is both significantly tougher and a bit more wear resistant than d2. Do you know how hard he heatreats AEB-L, z-wear, a2? Z-wear would probable be very difficult without proper power equipment. Sounds interesting though.
Tens of hours, depending on what you’re going for? Not really worth it unless you’re excited about a long term project. That said, that’s what I’d be doing if I got one. 🤷

But yea, I’ve only done major work on san mai blades so far. I guess I’d like to know how hard he heat treats things... if it’ll be a mono blade at 64 HRC, my elbows might give out before I finish. Maybe 59-61 would be nice? I dunno. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere.

I was thinking 60-61 would probably be good, maybe 62.

interested in skd12 or aebl

I talked to my sister about making her one for her birthday next year.
So that's three blades accounted for, which means I may go for 4.

I'll happily pay for the 240 grit sanding, if it's a profiling to fairly close.
I figure that $40 is way cheaper than getting a 72 inch belt sander.

Also, any steel you choose will be miles better than what my mom and sister are using. Mom's knife is a Lee Valley Peasant's Chef knife in SK5. My sister has a Tojiro DP Santoku.

That's a very good question and I hadn't thought about that. This may not even be worth doing.

Who are they coming from? If I'm getting things sent to Australia it may be easier for me to order direct...

(Tho if it means others missing a discount then I'll stick with the group buy.)

Who are they coming from? If I'm getting things sent to Australia it may be easier for me to order direct...

(Tho if it means others missing a discount then I'll stick with the group buy.)

Plasma cutting and heat treat from Jarod Todd (Knife heat treating services | JT Custom Knives)

He's stateside, and so am I.

I'd bet there's someone in Australia offering a similar service?

@cotedupy @mlau

All surface grinding is going to do is clean up forge scale, and give you flat sides to start with. It will not grind in your bevels.
These blanks will require stock removal.

Thanks for clarifying, I thought that might be the case. Tho I do actually have a belt sander if that'll work for surface grinding, so on 2nd thoughts perhaps I'll just do it myself.

Btw, what type of equipment would you recommend for grinding the bevels?

I have a cheap belt/disc sander (4"x36") and a small bench grinder (6" baldor).
Not sure if these would over heat the blanks?

A 4"x36" will definitely work. Freud makes decent belts under their Diablo brand. Home Depot usually stocks them. I don't know how they compare to other 4x36 belts.
A bench grinder wouldn't really be much help. You could clean up the profile with it, but you could just as well do that on the belt grinder.

Either will overheat the blank if you let it. If the blank's too hot for your bare fingers, dunk it in some water.

Those will work. You will need an assortment of belts, but go as course as you can to start.

I'll bump my order back to 4.
I may make a spare for charity, or a matched pair to teach cooking with.

I won't need fancy grinding, since I'll probably do it all myself.
Will likely have it clamped to some plywood, and do the rough hogging on the belt sander (with a fresh belt) near a bucket of water.
I'll do everything over 240 grit with stones, by hand.

Not sure what grind you'd recommend?
I have a Heiji Santoku. Also, I have a Messermeister Olivia coming over.

Got a used Messermeister Olivia last night.
It's pretty good. I finally see the point of western

Totally looking forward to this project!
Any updates?

Yeah, turns out this isn't really worth doing.

Assuming 10 blades ordered and $10 for shipping from me to each participant:
Guy who wants 4 blades is only saving $4 a blade.
Guy who wants 1 blade is only saving $7.50.

Can I order directly from the guy then?

Originally, I didn't think of making one from scratch, but this totally looks up my alley.
Who is the guy?

btw, Apple Pie...could I get access to the profile you plan to use?
You sound like a connoisseur of blades...I figure that it's probably better than anything I can come up with.

Back