GYUTO 270 REC

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Those Tesshu don't look very Watanabe-esque IMO. Which is what the re-animator of the thread seems to be looking for. Regarding the asymmetry- Shinichi seems pretty savvy to our finicky western needs. As stated above, I'd stress that you're really dependent upon the 50/50 angle all the way down to the final sharpening. I'm guessing that he'll be more than willing to accommodate. And if it shows up a bit less than, it shouldn't be too difficult to tweak on your own, or drop a little cash having one of the qualified pros here on the forum adjust it to your specs.

Dunno if I should be reviving this old thread instead of starting a new one but....

I finally asked Shinichi about making me a lefty-ground gyuto and he responded:
"Our Gyuto is symmetrical double bevel 50/50. So both hand users can use it." I have never used or handled a watanabe double-bevel but the one shown above definitely appears to be right-bias (Also the Toyama 240 I have is probably my favorite knife right now and while it is close to 50/50, I think it has a little righty-bias. Anyone else want to chime in here? Should I push him more on the subject or do you think he'll make sure I get one that's 50/50? I'd like to try using a gyuto that's HAS asymmetry (for a lefty), rather than one that's just more-or-less symmetric but this seems impossible to get at this point.

A tangential question: If I do go the Watanabe route I was thinking of ordering a kurouchi since I have no problem removing the KU myself if I decide to and it's cheaper to leave the KU on and because his cladding is so reactive. Is there any reason to go ahead and get the kasumi or is it the exact same knife with just a different finish?

That was my 270 kirtisuke gyuto. I'll upload some pics of 240 gyuto, 270 Suji and 150 petty later today. I'd say they are biased slightly towards right hand use based on grind. I currently have the handles off awaiting customs (maybe I should try them out for suitability for a lefty before investing in them). The pics look a little off because of how the choil is polished too.

I'm in agreement with brainsausage...

This is more about assymetry in sharpening rather than the basic geometry of the knife. It would be nice not having to reverse a sharpening bias, and Shinichi could easily make the knife a true 50/50.

Back