Gyuto for start recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpst

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am new to the forum (2nd post), so I want to greet all of you. I am looking for 2 knives and a sharpening stones. I would be happy if you could help me.

Switzerland / Poland. I can also be in US (Chicago, SFO) in next 3 months.

KNIFE TYPE
Gyuto - 240mm
Some slicer, 270mm

Are you right or left handed?
right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese octogonal handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Gyuto - 240mm
Slicer - 270mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
I wanted to spend at max 700 dollars buying 2 knives, stones, paying sales taxes and delivery costs

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home enthusiast environment

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
- slicing vegetables
- chopping vegetables
- slicing meats
- cutting down poultry
- filleting fish

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Victorinx 19 cm chef + santoku.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
No

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Rocking motion

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Gyuto - longer, wider, better keeps sharpness

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
I prefer the look of steel and wooden handle

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Not the heaviest, but heavier knife (heavier than these victorinoxes

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
I would be happy if the knife was not too hard to sharpen, had good food release

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Not really long, I can sharp it offen

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
yes, steel rod

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

If you're in SF in a few months, give yourself something to look forward too--plan a stop by Bernal Cutlery. They'll get you squared away, plus you'll get to handle/view different knives, which can be really helpful.

Last edited:
100% visit bernal cutlery. Great guys over there. You can get everything at once. It will probably be cheaper than paying VAT and shipping anyway =/

Vat and shipping is hard, vat is 7,9% or something like that, but they can charge me like 25 chf for customs services.

Any alternatives to that shop? For example if I do not manage to visit that shop.

In the Bay Area (San Francisco) there are no alternatives to Bernal. There are some shops that sell knives, but none with the knowledge and inventory of Bernal. Of course if you make it down to LA you have to go see Jon at Japanese Knife Imports.

In case you want a Takamura, Hida Tool & Hardware at Berkley (next to SF) had some Takamuras in stock when I visited last time (they have jnats as well by the way).

Any suggestion what I can buy if I won't have time to visit the SFO shop, as I will be there for work and I might not have time.

Back