Handle Making- Metal Spacers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a big reason why I came up with using a hidden dowel back in 2011. Creates a mechanical join, increases surface area for glue, simplifies construction and helps keep handles falling apart if using spacers. Penny washers was my first source of nearly ready made spacers
It also indexes all of the pieces so if it does overheat and come apart in shaping is easy to clean and reglue with the same alignment.

Another tip is if cutting thin sheet to make spacers it’s worth sandwiching it between some offcuts when drilling and sawing to reduce the amount of buckling.

Since my current handles are many many layers of different materials I glue everything together first and then drill the center hole. I also drill two 1/8” holes for small dowels or metal rods on either side. Then the center hole gets filled with epoxy and the tang. I use a jig that holds the block of layers together while I’m drilling the holes on my drill press. This keeps the pressure off of them while I’m drilling. I’ve also done the dowel down the center tang hole but with smaller handles for smaller knives like a paring knife there isn’t enough room for adjustment with a dowel installed. I found it easier to leave the center hole open for adjusting the handle when gluing it up. If you’re wondering why I don’t just drill a larger tang hole it’s because it doesn’t leave enough surface area for glue and it also puts a lot more pressure on the joints while drilling. Smaller holes are much more manageable when the handle is nothing but spacers of different materials all glued together.

Latest posts

Back