Handle reprofle WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here’s some progress on a rehandle.
Masahiro VC 270 sujihiki, boy this thing had a big goofy, blocky, clunky handle on it. Luckily the bolster was solid, so I could take away quite a bit of material from the bottom, and recontour the whole handle, excentuating the birds beak. Pin holes have been redrilled to align better with the new shape. Im pretty happy with the progress so far, I’ll post again when I get the wood.
1C7CEB71-A6E8-4656-AB2E-BD23302FFD9F.jpeg

They’re little rivets so the actual pin hole is much smaller than what it seems from the outside. My method I’ve learned is the path of least resistance. I just grind away the rivets on my disk sander. They usually pop off easily after that

Nice tang reprofile Danzo!

BTW, it took me a year or so of drilling out rivets before I came to your solution to simply grind them away. Derp

Looks good! You should become a designer :) Did you use solid brass pins?

Solid brass pins, and some very nice quality walnut milk.

All finished up, lighting sucks, and wow i suck at photos.
A1F0D8AE-EAA5-433E-9C87-96ED396B1C22.jpeg
1F4D6AF3-BBE0-4632-8966-AF332E04DE5A.jpeg

With some of its bros, say your goodbyes.
0D1CFC05-2FF0-498A-9179-11776D843A47.jpeg

Was the pin hole closest to the bolster still in the area of the blade that's tempered? I tend to run into that with Japanese knives andand usua have to file the hole out instead of drilling

Was the pin hole closest to the bolster still in the area of the blade that's tempered? I tend to run into that with Japanese knives andand usua have to file the hole out instead of drilling

I use a hardened bit, the northern most holes usually feel harder, but is never a problem with the right bit. it’s a Chicago Latrobe HSS spade bit.

This looks fantastic. Great job. Looks really comfortable compared to where it started

Latest posts

Back