Handles With All Hand Tools?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you will be fine doing it. It's not too difficult to do it with just hand tools. Just make sure you have something to bring down the pins. I personally like to cut the pins fairly close to the handle, and peen them over when I epoxy the scales on. Then grind down what's sticking out.

Make sure you don't go too far if you peen them out it can split the handle scale.

Also once you've got the handle down to the spine of the knife, you're going to need to sand with a backing. Otherwise the spine is going to stick up more that the handle.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm thinking started to rehandle some old western knives with all hand tools if that's possible. The Morihei Hisamoto leaves me drooling but I really don't want to start doing this on a $300 knife. Is this a good idea? Which tools would I need? I'm interested in old forge craft and Dexter stuff on ebay, but some cheap Taiwan made aus10 knife blank on Amazon seems like ok deal too.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCMMV26?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_GZBW1PKVV3PCG8G5H160
It'll be a gigantic PITA to get all the details right on it, with or without powered tools to make some portions of the work go more quickly. Forgies and Dexters are "easier" because they don't have a bolster, but scale removal, tang clean up and shaping, scale fabrication/procurement, spacers or not, corbies/rivets/pins, enlarging tang holes, scale/spacer flattening, correct adhesive selection, clamping, clean up and finishing. Then add on that all of it should be symmetrical both sides, top to bottom, front to back: tang, spacer, scales, etc. It's a lot.

Back