Has Shigfusa finally reached it limit?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to know Shigefusa reached its limit, saves me from going through the hassle of selling a whole bunch of useless knives.

Perhaps the title is misleading but, for a Shig to be sitting on the JNS web site for multiple days is quite unusual. I don't think I've seen a Kato sit there for more than a few minutes.

I'm sure your Shigfusa's are wonderful and I wish I could afford the price for a nice 240mm Kasumi Gyuto.

KU Shigs will always be “inferior”, average, what ever you want to call it. It’s the most basic of their offering. They were intended for domestic use in Japan. They will never live up to the expectations of the knife nut here. I think you need to judge kitaejis (rather than Ku) based on the requirements of the members here.

I collect KU shigs and I am fully aware of the shortfalls of them before I started.

I think theres a bigger difference performance wise between wa vs yo handle. My yo handke has changed my stance on shigs in a good way.

I think theres a bigger difference performance wise between wa vs yo handle. My yo handke has changed my stance on shigs in a good way.

I have to agree, I enjoy cutting more with the western handle one

I had a 180 shig ku Nakiri that performed very well. It had was "concave" towards the spine and a touch thinner than the 165 nakiris I used. The grind ootb was really, really good.

It was a joke. Gatekeeping is the reverse, stopping someone from entering a new area. In McMan's case it was more of a gatekeeper, seeing as he never went through.
Knives are addictive. Just say NO!

I'd say shigs are a bit more cost prohibitive than weed
Pound for pound I'd say a Shig is a lot cheaper. US price approx $4.50/g so ~$700 vs $250 for the 150g Shig. Seems like a bargain......

Well we've already correlated Shigs as bricks on sticks, neither of which being desirable in reference to good reefer.

Perhaps the title is misleading but, for a Shig to be sitting on the JNS web site for multiple days is quite unusual. I don't think I've seen a Kato sit there for more than a few minutes.

Perhaps a thought to entertain is that JNS had 10 santokus this time around.

Just another thought; when I last checked (6month ago) if you search shigefusa for sale on google or whatever else search engine. You can find a few KU santoku, 165 and 180. As truly this knife is the gateway shigefusa. Plus the one on JNS is not the cheapest option, it makes sense for it to be there.

Shipping from JNS is pretty darn quick as my Shigefusa 180mm KU Santoku arrived today;

Attachments

• IMG_5517.JPG
    IMG_5517.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1318.JPG
    IMG_1318.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5678.JPG
    IMG_5678.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_5690.JPG
    IMG_5690.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_9421.JPG
    IMG_9421.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 101
Well after a few weeks my opinion has softened on the KU Shigefusa Santoku and I feel like it's not all that heavy in my hands and it is pretty thin behind the edge. I'll admit that I haven't used it yet since I'm still deciding if I'll keep it so far it's BNIB. The big problem with jumping on a "name brand" like this one at the bottom end is that when a very nice knife comes along like the JNS Tanaka B#1 Damascus Gyuto I feel like I'm going over budget and passing on a better knife - dang!

That Tanaka is very tempting but still look too thin for my liking. I’d certainly take one if Dami Toyama is that price. Between my ion & stainless clad Toyama, I kept the ion clad because it’s slightly thicker spine & more middle weight. The Tanaka looks thinner than Toyama stainless.

Latest posts

Back