Hello from Canada - Alberta

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome gmorris, I'm new too. How do you like the Yoshikane’s?? I'm literally looking at both K-tip and Bunka right now as my next purchase. Also, how do the 2 Bunkas you listed compare to each other?

Last edited:
Welcome fellow albertan! Central or south? I see a few knifewear stalwarts in your collection, particularity jealous of the ishime honesuki 🙂.

Welcome gmorris, I'm new too. How do you like the Yoshikane’s?? I'm literally looking at both K-tip and Bunka right now as my next purchase. Also, how do the 2 Bunkas you listed compare to each other?
I absolutely love the Yoshikane's. I've only had them for a few months and haven't needed a full sharpening yet but they both have been excellent with just regular light honing. I would say the SKD might stay keen a bit longer between honing than the white carbon but not by much.

The Masakage Ko-bunka is only 130mm and basically a tall petty knife but it's fantastic for ginger/garlic and any other small tasks. I've pushed it on some bigger jobs and it does great but it's definitely more fragile feeling than the Yoshi because of it's size.

Welcome fellow albertan! Central or south? I see a few knifewear stalwarts in your collection, particularity jealous of the ishime honesuki 🙂.
I'm just outside of Calgary so yes, I've spent too much time and money at Knifewear. The Moritaka is great...my favorite boning knife I've ever had. I don't break down that many chickens but I love it for splitting bone-in pork shoulders and cleaning up bigger cuts of beef. Super nimble and stays sharp forever.

Reactions: Pie
Ha, I'm just a home cook and with only the 2 of us I can barely justify the 210!
I'm also a home cook.

I use 270s and 240s a lot.

If you use a proper pinch grip, the first 50-70mm above the heel will be taken up by your grip, shortening the effective blade length. The upside is that you gain much better control of the blade in all 6 planes of motion.

I'm also a home cook.

I use 270s and 240s a lot.

If you use a proper pinch grip, the first 50-70mm above the heel will be taken up by your grip, shortening the effective blade length. The upside is that you gain much better control of the blade in all 6 planes of motion.
Not sure why it's so important to you?

Back