Hello from Montreal, Canada!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucase

Reaction score
Hello, I just recently got into kitchen knives after pulling the trigger and buying a Global Forged knife. They stay sharp so long and are such a pleasure to use, I find myself wanting to cook more. I think my second knife will also be part of the Global Forged collection because they seem to be the best quality in the "medium" price range, unless anyone else has any suggestions.

Welcome to the forums.

There are many better knives than globals, including many at an entry level price point.

You can start a "which knife should I buy?" Thread in the kitchen knife forum. Copy, paste and answer the questionnaire (it's a sticky thread at the top of the same forum) in order to get answers specific to your situation.

Hi thanks for the info! Question: from my very little research it seems that Global Forged's CROMOVA 18 is one of the hardest metals that needs sharpening the least. If that's my main criteria, is there still a better option at a similar pricepoint?

Hi thanks for the info! Question: from my very little research it seems that Global Forged's CROMOVA 18 is one of the hardest metals that needs sharpening the least. If that's my main criteria, is there still a better option at a similar pricepoint?

Welcome. As @Nemo said, you can do much better and that very much includes the steel. Any of the Blue/Aogami steels will blow away Global. SG2/R2, AEB-L, SRS15, and many more will as well. There's a ton of great options out there. Of equal if not more importance is the grind and geometry of the knife.

Tsunehisa, Akifusa, the various Ginga lines, and many others will all absolutely delight you at reasonable prices.

Last edited:
Welcome eh/Bienvenue han.

Like the others said, post up a thread to ask for recommendations. Also, there are Canucks on the forum who can advise you on where to shop locally.

Sorry to say that this sounds a bit like Global's marketing spiel.

Cromova18 is not super hard. Its HRC is around 58 IIRC, whereas most of the knives we talk about here are 61-65, with some going higher.

However, I would caution that a knife's hardness is not the be all and end all of it's quality. Or even of it's edge retention.

However, my main issue with Globals is that they are awful to sharpen. They seem to take forever to raise a burr, which, once raised, hangs on tenaciously.

Yes, there are better options at that price point. And much better options for just a little bit more. I look forward to seeing your "which knife should I buy?" thread.

If you hang around here long enough, you will soon discover that there are important qualities to a knife beyond its hardness and edge retention. The most important if these is probably the grind (cross-sectional shape of the blade). This determines important characteristics such as food release/ food shedding and resistance to wedging.

Back