Hello from Ottawa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been lurking here for a while and enjoy the great information and expertise on this forum so I became a supporting member.

My knife journey began years ago with folding knives and after lots of time and money spent on knives I did not use I decided to sell all but a few of them for personal carry.
Little that I know that all I did was change the rabbit hole. Lol. Hey, at least this one allows me to have knives I can regularly use right?

I’ve been sharpening my folding knives for around 15 years and find sharpening kitchen knives a little easier. Bigger blades are easier to handle to my hands.

I have a drawer full of those cheap Chinese knives I really should get rid of. From there I started purchasing German knives and now Japanese knives.

German knives are great and I think every home cook should have a least a chef's knife. They are a workhorse. I sharpen mine to 20° to #800. They may not hold an edge for the longest time but the low hardness makes them great when you do not want to damage the fine edge of the Japanese knife.

Japanese knives are just amassing. They keep an edge like nothing else and make delicate work a breeze. I’m hooked. That’s it. All the money is gone again. Lol

Next on the list is a Nakiri and then a Gyuto.

Have a great day.
Rick

Back