Hello! Incl. question regarding Aritsugu

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phknife

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my introduction post. Since I will leave Kyoto in 3 days, I'll ask my question here but understand if I need to repost it when I have been approved

I am currently in kyoto and wants to buy a knife from Aritsugu and have some questions that I have not been able to get answers to. I am quite new to professional knives but got a good rough lecture before I traveled here and I have been reading some more over the last days. The one giving me the rough lecture was a japanese man that has a knife shop in my country who told me to go Aritsugu if I would travel to Kyoto. They are very polite and kind here in Kyoto but unfortunately not so proficient in English so I get answers that don't line up with what I read.

Apparently the 100% Blue steel (Aogami) is sold out and they have two Sontuko models available in the store. One model with SK95 carbon steel (what I understand is SK4?) and one model with the inside/middle part being blue steel (aogami) and surrounded on both sides by stainless steel (which makes it heavier and the handle is not equally as nice in my opinion). The SK4 knife costs ~18k Yen for 21cm and the other model costs ~16k Yen for 19/20cm.

Is it worth it to buy a SK4 knife from Aritsugu or should I look for pure aogami knives from other brands (and if so, what should I look for here in Kyoto). The japanes man who gave me the rough lecture told me to buy aogami or shirogami and I got very insecure when they only had SK4 carbon steel and they can't really explain the difference in the store.

Unfortunately I will travel from Kyoto on Sunday and therefore have limited time...

Thanks in advance for all help that I can get!

Hi and welcome to the forums. I strongly recommend you repoost the question in the general forum area. I also recommend to explain why is it Aritsugu that you are looking for (or why specifically a monosteel Aogami knife).

Back