Help finding a new chef knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milkman420

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Chefs knife

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 8" bigger than 6" but smaller than 10" Anything in between

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no). No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 250$

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Both but mostly professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.). Trimming meats and fish. Slicing mincing and chopping Vegetables

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Wuusthoff ikon

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.). Pinch grip and point grip. Hammer grip when breaking down poultry

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.). Slice, chop, and back slice

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.). Better edge retention, sharper, Japanese style, lighter

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? I love the Damascus finish. Was also interested in possibly switching to carbon(misono Swedish steel if it had Damascus would be the ideal)

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Lighter than the ikon

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Want it to be sharp from the get go and slicing motion are high on the list

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Going it to last a long time although I do have above average sharpening skills

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.). Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.). No

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.). Eventually get an edge kit

Hi I'm new here. I'm a professional chef and looking to turn in my wusthoff ikon for a Japanese knife. I don't know much about them but went to Williams and Sonoma to feel the shuns and loved the way they felt in my hand. Ive read several users say not to go withshun but all I can find in stores is shun and Miyabi. Which knife do you guys recommend as an everyday chef knife. My price point is 250$. My friend swears by his misono Swedish steel. I was looking more for a Damascus finish tho cuz to be honest they look cool. I don't care if it's carbon or stainless even tho from what I hear carbon is the way to go. I have above average sharpening skills. I just really want a solid knife to start a new collection. I'd use it for fish vegetables and other everyday tasks. I'm particularly looking for something bigger than 6" but smaller than 10". As of right now I've looked into the miyabi 5000mcd shun kanji/Fuji and misono ux10 and Swedish steel which is what I would get if the damn thing had a Damascus finish sigh lol. Hope to hear some feedback on those knives and some other knives to consider and recommend as well thanks in advance

Back