Help finding a petty knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torridice

Reaction score
I've looked at most of what I expect are the typical sites. I'm trying to find a 120-130mm petty with a more modern looking Japanese style handle. I've seen some ebony ones that look nice on knives and stones, he puts that custom handle on some Tanaka knives. So you could reference that handle for what I kind of like. I also really like the handles on the shun blue series knives, but I'm not going to buy a shun.

My problem is finding a knife with the combination of all the things I want:

Carbon core with SS clad. Ideally the blue aogami super steel core. But if you would recommend a different carbon I'm all ears.

The handle I mentioned above

A hammer finish or dimpling or something to reduce food sticking. This isn't a must have though.

120mm-130mm length

I'm in the US

Left handed - however I prefer the ones that aren't handed since my wife is right handed

I wanted to spend $200 but I could go up to $300.

I've found a knife that would probably be ok but then ugly handles. So if you know somewhere that can put a handle I like on the blade maybe that's my best option.

I want to use this for common small tasks and probably some silver skin meat trimming. Prepping veggies. Cucumbers, peppers, onions, garlic, cauliflower, broccoli, small potatoes, etc.

I just cook at home.

I sharpen myself as needed. I have shapton stones as well as a KME system.

I cut on a edge grain cutting board that I made out of maple and walnut. And then also sometimes on a small plastic one from IKEA.

My other knife is a nice size chef knife. So this is meant to complement that. I figured a good petty would be the next priority.

Thanks!

Personally I think 120-130 is rather on the short side for board work. It's still okay for in hand work but otherwise longer is better IMO. Especially for trimming meats and silver skin.

The Syousin Chiku 120 petty comes to mind from K&S. It should tick all your boxes. Just ask James to replace the handle.
It's OOS, but send him an email to find out when he's expecting more.

Personally I think 120-130 is rather on the short side for board work. It's still okay for in hand work but otherwise longer is better IMO. Especially for trimming meats and silver skin.

Yea, maybe I'll have to play at home with knives around the different lengths to confirm. I don't like my chef knife for silver skin and I thought 150mm wasn't significantly shorter enough from the chef knife. I have seen a lot of posts that 120 is a weird in between length though. I do kind of like using smaller stuff though so I thought it would be ok.

The Syousin Chiku 120 petty comes to mind from K&S. It should tick all your boxes. Just ask James to replace the handle.
It's OOS, but send him an email to find out when he's expecting more.

I did send him a note through the contact page yesterday asking something similar. I'm thinking that'll probably be my best bet. I like when there is a spacer. With the small knife I'd want to be sure that doesn't over weight the handle though.

Back