Help fixing a screwed up Mazaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of which I was in more local hardware store looking for sandpaper. When they asked me what it was for I told them I needed it for sharpening my knives. They laughed at me and then told me "you know we sharpen knives here." I told them I know because I can hear it from down the block. #thanksbutnothanks
Oh! One of those ones that sounds like it's making a new key?

fixing that knife probably takes about 30 minutes or so on a good 220.

just keep some slurry on the 220 and try to use the whole stone so you wont have to flatten too often.
could take more than 30 min depending on what cladding is used. but probably less than 1h. you just have to be motivated to get **** done.

its not an 8h job to thin a knife on a coarse stone.

It took me around 8 hours (probably 4 or 5 hours from a fit person) to thin my brand new Maz. It was very very thick towards the tip and the shoulders throughout all of the knife needed rounding, and the whole thing then needed thinning afterwards (under the shoulders, to move the shoulders up). It just depends what you mean by thin.

Reactions: ian
I always take my time thinning and flattening bevels. I like to make sure i’m not making mistakes. Too many regrets from the past. I’m wayyy better these days but once I start to lose patience etc, I just walk away and start up another day. I would rather it take a little more time than rush it and scratch the kurochi or something.

I would rather it take a little more time than rush it and scratch the kurochi or something.

Hahaha, check out my maz, I'll put it in the mazaki thread tomorrow. I took off maybe 2/3rds of the KU. it was unavoidable so I stopped caring. But I tried my best initially not to scratch it

Hahaha, check out my maz, I'll put it in the mazaki thread tomorrow. I took off maybe 2/3rds of the KU. it was unavoidable so I stopped caring. But I tried my best initially not to scratch it
I scratched the kurochi on my maz nakiri when I was almost done with it. I was stupid and took the tape off of the spine at the end. I was really pissed for a little bit but the rest of the knife looks pretty damn good so whatever man.. kurochi will come off and get scratched eventually anyways. I thought about looking into that blueing process just for the few scratched spots but eh..

Out of curiousity and ignorance. What is wrong with a larger bevel in the front of the knife? I understand if it is thick it is bad of course.

Out of curiousity and ignorance. What is wrong with a larger bevel in the front of the knife? I understand if it is thick it is bad of course.

A large edge bevel, larger than other parts of the knife (and at the same angle) is usually a sign that that part of the knife has been sharpened much more, which means it's now thick behind the edge (and being thick behind the edge at the tip is the worst place)

A large edge bevel, larger than other parts of the knife (and at the same angle) is usually a sign that that part of the knife has been sharpened much more, which means it's now thick behind the edge (and being thick behind the edge at the tip is the worst place)

That makes perfect sense. I actually have a larger bevel near the tip on one of my experiment knives, but it is at a steeper angle than the rest of the knife, so it is actually much thinner (at least thats what I aimed at and feel like in performance)

Back