Help, left a chosera 3000 in water overnight

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I left my chosera 3000 in water overnight by mistake, what's the best way to treat it so it doesn't fall apart as I am told they often do after too long a soak...

thanks!

Just dry it out carefully in a well ventilated area. Soaking it isnt even necessary, the chosera doesnt even release bubbles when submerged in water from my experience.

The tupac is absolutely necessary. Seriously. Ask me how I know.

The 3k isn't one of the Choseras that is prone to break or crumble from soaking. I'm not saying it's Ok to soak it but that I doubt this one incident will have a negative effect on your stone.

The 3k isn't one of the Choseras that is prone to break or crumble from soaking. I'm not saying it's Ok to soak it but that I doubt this one incident will have a negative effect on your stone.

They all are... About the same amount... It's a function of the binding agent. That being said, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

IMG_3305_edited-2.jpg

:bigeek:

I believe the cracking is due to fast drying of the utter layers while the inner part is still wet. I would wrap it into towels to slow down the drying. It will and should take a few days.
There's no need for soaking the entire stone. Wet the upper side, wait a few minutes, wet it again and start.

I believe the cracking is due to fast drying of the utter layers while the inner part is still wet. I would wrap it into towels to slow down the drying. It will and should take a few days.
There's no need for soaking the entire stone. Wet the upper side, wait a few minutes, wet it again and start.

You would be correct for resinod stones but not magnesia stones... They are a function of the binder breaking down and leaching out

I perma-soaked 5 different grit level Choseras for quite some time and had various results. The 10k, 5k, 3k, 1k, & 400x were the ones I dropped in the bucket. The 10k got soft but stayed together ( I actually love the feel of it when soft like this), the 5k broke in half across the middle when it was about 1/2 worn down (I glued the pieces to a wood base and it lives on), the 3k showed no signs of anything at all happening to it, the 1k constantly developed a rough surface (I assume from bits flaking away), and the 400x (actually 3 - 400x stones in total) literally disintegrated away even though they were still usable for rough work.

Back