Help me buy two knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So spent the last week with my family renting a cabin in TN. OF COURSE I brought a few of my knives.

Sissy (my sister) got to use my knives when helping me with some prep, and has now decided she needs to upgrade.

So she wants me to recommend a chef's knife and a paring (petty) knife for her.

I won't do the full questionnaire, but here are a few points.

1. She's a lefty. I believe most mass produced knives don't have a bias (correct me please if I'm wrong) but I'd like to get knives with a lefty bias for her.
2. Stainless only.
3. Shorter petty and Santoku sizes for her please, she's like 5 foot nothing. Cooks only for herself and her husband but has recently gotten into canning.
4. Knives will likely only be sharpened twice a year when I go to visit.
5. Western Handle.
6. She will not be kind to the blade. It will get used on plastic boards and probably glass on occasion as well. Don't judge. :wink:

She is not a knife nut, and will not become one (too cheap!). But I still want to get her nicer knives than the trusty Henkels she currently has.

So I will not be insulted if someone throws out a Mac or Victorinox.

I'm half tempted just to call Jon and see what he recommends and maybe if he can find something that has a lefty bias.

Since the knife will only be sharpened a couple times per year, perhaps a powdered steel blade would be appropriate for extended edge retention. Epicurean Edge has their Cyber Monday sale going on. Various Akifusa blades have popped up during the sale.

Thanks guys. I'm looking at the Misen and can't find anything about the length? OH - they just messaged me back. 8.2 inches which is just shy of 210 so just a bit longer than she's used to. Not a bad looking set. Is the tip a bit more up-swept (as opposed to flat) or is that just the picture?

On the Akifusa - good buys AND the profile tip is a little flatter from what I can see. Still a bit more expensive than the Misen. Lot to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still a bit more expensive than the Misen. Lot to think about.

For a low cost powdered steel knife, there is the Tojiro SG2. Cutlery and More has the santoku on sale for $120 - 20% (Cyber Monday sale).

Sweet deal on the Tojiro at Cutlerty and More. They have the same two piece set as Amazon for an extra 20% off...maybe I get her that set plus a nice santoku...

What guys here say about the Gesshin stainless line I can't think of a more suitable case for them then this?

+1 on the Tojiro DP set + get a ceramic honing rod and show her how to use it. Not the flashy way, like most chefs/ butchers do, but the proper way, like Bob Kramer does it.
What you can also do is buy a fine grit sandpaper and round the handles a bit.

The tojiro is a good choice for this situation.

Also making a leather strop with a strip of leather and a wood block and powder solution. Even if she doesnt want to sharpen stroping is quick and simple and little cleanup to speak of.

VG-10 + rod is asking for wire edges, due to the tenacious burr.

Okay, you're right, forgot to mention to keep the cork (after having a wine/champagne - i assume it's gonna be a present) to deburr the edge after honing.

Back