Help me choose a handle please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which handle do you like it?

• Black micarta

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • African black wood

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Cocobolo

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Black space

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Snow in dark

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

adam92

Reaction score
I’m thinking to get hattori forum 240mm gyuto, I just sold my deep impact 240mm gyuto to my co worker, wanting to try something different but struggling with the handle now, seem like the black micarta is the best seller but the handle looks very similar with deep impact gyuto.

IMG_7413.png
IMG_7411.png
IMG_7409.png
IMG_7408.png

Attachments

• IMG_7412.png
    IMG_7412.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Not trying to be a downer, but the current Hattori Forum kind looks rather… boring? Seems like their main selling point is scales kind like Nenox westerns. Of course I never hold one so I might be very wrong…
I read on the forum Ryusen used to do OEM for Hattori but since they are doing their own now they must got a new OEM, the old Hattori seems to be well liked, maybe check the Ryusen offerings?

Not trying to be a downer, but the current Hattori Forum kind looks rather… boring? Seems like their main selling point is scales kind like Nenox westerns. Of course I never hold one so I might be very wrong…
I read on the forum Ryusen used to do OEM for Hattori but since they are doing their own now they must got a new OEM, the old Hattori seems to be well liked, maybe check the Ryusen offerings?
I tried to search ryusen knives, either the shipping fees is expensive or the website doesn’t have the knives I want 🥲🥲 Nenox knives have very high quality F&F when I visit they store in Japan, just the price for nenox is ridiculous high.

The micarta is nice and pretty bomb proof. Corian is bleurgh as a handle material, really not a fan. The timber offerings are nice, just may need sanding down once it’s acclimated as will prob move a bit being a natural material

Style is personal preference.

For materials micarta has fiber, so it will have more grip than the corian and it’s near indestructible. Corian is a good material, solid and hard to break, but may chip if you dropped the knife (not sure, never tried). Both of those will not move with time.

I think cocobolo is one of the best rosewoods out there. It should last and feel good in your hands as it’s an oily wood. With time and seasons, wood expands and contracts. Whether it not you can tell depends on how well it was cured before using. As cocobolo is very difficult to import, most likely it will be old and well seasoned.

I tried to search ryusen knives, either the shipping fees is expensive or the website doesn’t have the knives I want 🥲🥲 Nenox knives have very high quality F&F when I visit they store in Japan, just the price for nenox is ridiculous high.
Both Miura and King Tak Kong have some with close price. I’m sure Nenox have very high quality of F&F, it’s just their steel choice and grind seems rather odd for the price point tho.
http://www.zknives.com/knives/kitchen/ktknv/nenox/nenoxgy270.shtml

I heard from Koki cocobolo is become distinctive & really hard to find now, guess I have to wait to few months before available 🥲
IMG_7416.png

Back