Help me choose a knife (birthday gift)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkbaby

Well-Known Doofus
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a newbie lurker and have really enjoyed all the knowledge passed on in this forum. Just started getting into Japanese style knives and was totally blown away by their performance. I'm starting to fall down the rabbit hole of wanting to collect more knives because to me they are a combination of artistry, craftsmanship, and utility. I'm a cyclist, and there's something about an incredible handmade bicycle that makes you want to ride more and pushes you to be better. While a newbie might not squeeze every bit of potential out of their tool, I've found that I've usually grown into it as my skills increase.

So, I'd like to get something really nice to celebrate my birthday and getting over the last few years of hardships. I've been looking on Murray Carter's website as well as at Teruyasu Fujiwara, and a bunch of Western custom makers. It's a little daunting because many of the custom makers offerings sell right away and getting a custom made is a long wait if even possible.

What country are you in? USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Probably a gyuto, 220 to 240 mm. Not 100% set, but I like the idea of having something that has a lot of uses instead of a more specialized knife.

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Leaning toward Japanese handle, but mostly am interested in something eye catching that I will enjoy seeing and using everyday.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

220 to 240ish mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$1000 maybe $1200 if I totally go crazy for a certain knife, but preferably am more interested in about $500. I feel like $500 is justifiable but $1000 would have to be a knife where I could recoup part of the cost of I had to sell it in the future.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Mostly slicing and chopping vegetables but occasionally mincing garlic and ginger. I hardly ever slice meats but it's not out of the question.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
n/a

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push cutting, rocking, then slicing in order of most used to least

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

I'd like something with interesting and/or funky stuff going on for eye appeal because I'm looking for both art and utility in one. I really like the looks of Takeda classic kurouchi finish but also interesting Damascus patterns. I really like the patina developing on my current knives. A little bling on the handle is great.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Not interested in a heavier knife.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Prefer less wedging as carrots are one of the things I cut the most of. I am willing to touch up a new blade though I'm a newbie sharpener, but I don't want anything that's a total dud right out of the box.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

Home user so that's not so important though I don't want to be sharpening more than maybe once a month. Usually only cooking for one or two, so light use.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Only wood and only end grain with my nicer knives.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) n/a

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, I have a 1000/6000 grit combo stone but probably will get something lower grit too.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Part of my asking y'all for help choosing is that I hope to learn something as well as hearing some interesting stories. Thank you!

Most J-knives come with pretty basic handles. So if your looking for something more interesting, I wouldn't focus on the handle at all. I would be looking for a knife solely based on the most fitting blade regardless of the handle. Then use it for a bit and when I would be sure it's what I was looking for, I'd send it for a custom job.

If your looking for something to catch the eye and be a high performance tool? Then how about a Kurosaki hammered R2? Great steel, very interesting hammer finish with a high gloss polish and it's reasonably light at about 186gr. It comes with a decent ootb edge and the handle is well very made but nothing special.

I haven't used one my self, but my colleague ordered one from Cleancut. He showed it to me and held it in my hand two days ago. Unfortunately I didn't get to cut anything yet as we were having lunch in a restaurant.
...But the aforementioned qualities are the reasons why I want one.

Taking into account you are using it to vegetables, mainly, and that you like kurouchi finish, i would get a Watanabe nakiri 180mm. Just don't forget to ask for the buffalo horn hilt.

Less is more, sharp is sharp. Any good steel modestly good steel such as vg10 or basic carbon steel is going to be like a light saber compared to standard Wustoff knives.

Get what you feel is good and let it be...No need to get carried away.

Tojiro VG10 is great for the money...and the standard carbon steel knives from Kikuichi are very good. Anything beyond that you might not get much benefit.

Be sensible...sharp is sharp regardless of high end mystique.

Yoshikane SLD Damascus are nice knives, indeed.
I think two of the best values out there are Syousin Chiku (Kurosaki) with AS core and stainless KU cladding, as well as Tanaka from James at Knives and Stones. He has some handle upgrades that are possible as well.
If you follow Ian's work at Haburn closely, you might be able to snag one of the pieces he fairly regularly puts up for sale.
Watanabe makes some great knives, and you could always upgrade the handle, if that's your inclination. There are some folks who like the aesthetic of simple handles, while others like things with more interesting wood, going all the way up to more intricate designs with multiple components. Go for what you want (although I personally think it might not make sense to jump in to the $500 point initially). There are a lot of excellent performers in the $200-$400 range. Opinions vary on how much performance increases beyond that. But it's your budget, so go for what will make you happy.

Latest posts

Back