Help me round out my cookware, please.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, not trying to discourage LC
just pricey so try to get one
that will be your main piece.

edit:
http://www.previninc.com/shop/Cookware.html
A well-edited selection and good prices.

Thanks for the link and yeah I hear what you are saying.

Changing direction. Thoughts on going 12 inch carbon pan vs stainless? I am liking my 10 inch carbon but I have only had it a short time. I've not had a stainless yet, always nonstick up to now. I am a bit worried about making pan sauces and the like in carbon though.

No expert about cookware, but all i can about making pan sauces with carbon its a PITA... Cooked on vintage cast for many years back when I lived in Canada and i have to say carbon is much more picky. Any hint of acidity and the seasoning is peeling off. Tomatoe sauces forget about it in carbon even a very well seasonned one.

What I did based on recommendations from this site is got myself a nice rondeau and its just awesome! A lil clumsier them a sauté pan id say since it has the dual handles, however much more versatile. Braise from stove top to oven, creates nice easy to see fond, easy to make pan sauces from since its stainless...

Full disclosure I have a love hate relationship with my debuyer min B,love how light it is vs cast, seers almost as well, easier to control heat/temp, extremly versatile, stovetop/oven/bbq... but 1 of my 2 debuyers cant keep a seasonning to save its life...

Opposite for me. Can't get a good seasoning on my cast iron, but my de Buyer pans pretty much have a hard black seasoning glued to the surface.

Picked up a 5.5qt saute (Cuisinart multiclad pro at 50% off) just because my t-fal is bleh. I can use it, in most cases, like a skillet until I get a 12''. :) Still want to pick up the 4qt All-clad soup pot though! I use a 4qt a lot and for most things I think enameled cast will be overkill.

Too late, tried to make a pan sauce in my carbon. Won't do it again. Black flakes in my sauce...:lol2: Right tool for the right job, got it.

Main issue I would see with making pan sauces in carbon steel pan is that it tends to get rather non-stick... to the point where there might be hardly any fond left to make a pan-sauce with. I never had issues.... but I never really go acidic or tomoto for my pan sauces so that might just be blind luck.
Maybe it can also differ depending on how one seasons?

Main issue I would see with making pan sauces in carbon steel pan is that it tends to get rather non-stick... to the point where there might be hardly any fond left to make a pan-sauce with. I never had issues.... but I never really go acidic or tomoto for my pan sauces so that might just be blind luck.
Maybe it can also differ depending on how one seasons?

Maybe, mine is fairly new as was the seasoning. Regardless, a new stainless is on the way so I won't have to worry about it. :)

Latest posts

Back