Help on recommendations for Amateur chef first 210mm Gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrathael

Reaction score
Hello, as the title reads I am shopping for a gift for a close friend. I have been going down the rabbit hole and researching what the best first time Gyuto would be for an amateur Chef. Please bless me with your knowledge 🙏. I am looking for something 210mm, easy to maintain, and around 200$ CAD. What recommendations I have been given so far would be:

-Takamura VG10
-Gesshin Stainless
-Haruyuki Goma Gy

I myself am leaning on Gesshin stainless vs Harayuki Goma so far.
Would prefer the western style handle but honestly if the blade quality is that much better, that is fine. Thank you!

Last edited:
No worries, it happens a lot.

Your post will get more visibility if posted under the "Kitchen Knife". There is a questionnaire you can fill out for friend that will get you recommendations that are (mostly) tailored to your requirements.

Every knife yall recommend is good and everywhere I ask a new brand comes up. there is no just most popular huh, they all seem to be very good in their own way :(. I know he wants something easy to maintain and sharpen, 210mm, and a gyuto. My budget currently is around 200$ CAD

Every knife yall recommend is good and everywhere I ask a new brand comes up. there is no just most popular huh, they all seem to be very good in their own way :(. I know he wants something easy to maintain and sharpen, 210mm, and a gyuto. My budget currently is around 200$ CAD
The main problem is there's actually very few people who really tried 'all the entry level knives'. Usually people just started off with a few and recommend what worked well for them.
I think many people here unironically have a better overview of the higher budget ranges.

If you actually have a real life brick & mortar knife shop near you I'd lean to going there. At least you'll be able to see and feel things up close so you'll have at least some idea of whether a knife works for you.

These are all great suggestions. I like kanehide this range, but that tadafusa that was recommended looks excellent. Good thing about you probably aren’t going to miss with any of these recs.

I guess it seems like I can prioritize other things then huh lol! He has big hands so I guess a good handle for that is important. He'd want something entry level and easier to maintain for sharpening, and I guess last would be aesthetic I'd have to figure out. Thank you so much so far guys appreciate all the advice!

I guess it seems like I can prioritize other things then huh lol! He has big hands so I guess a good handle for that is important. He'd want something entry level and easier to maintain for sharpening, and I guess last would be aesthetic I'd have to figure out. Thank you so much so far guys appreciate all the advice!
For big hands I'd take Takamura off the list. Their handles are on the smaller side. Still perfectly usable but definitly smaller than most other Japanese knives I've used.

Thanks so much friends, after careful consideration and weighing in his preferences I ended up going with the Harayuki Goma Gyuto 210mm from a Knifewear shop in Toronto. You guys were great, appreciate all the recommendations. The employee also agreed that this knife would be one of his first recommendations especially since my buddy prefers the western handle. Wish you all the best take care homies.

Back