Help troubleshooting after sanding a Hinoki cutting board

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpham12

Reaction score
Hi all, bit of a weird problem here.

I’ve been using a Shun Hinoki cutting board for almost a year at home with no complaints. I’ve sanded it once before and it started looking a little beat up again last week so I sanded it down again. The first time I sanded it, I just used some random mid grit sandpaper I had laying around just to do some light resurfacing and there was no problem. This time, I went 80-120-220-320 and then a leftover sheet of 600 grit I had. The problem is the board seems to be dulling my edges noticeably more quickly. I thought I was imagining this at first, but I resharpened/touched up the knives and the problem persists for about a week now. 52100, Blue 2, R2, they’re all dulling faster than before. Just a couple quick prep sessions and the edge ends up duller than it was pre-sanding when I could go for quite awhile without significant dulling.

Really don’t think it’s a sharpening problem because I’ve haven’t changed my technique and I’ve used these knives at home and in a prep kitchen on poly boards without this issue. Any idea what’s going on? Should I re-sand or try something else?

Hi all, bit of a weird problem here.

I’ve been using a Shun Hinoki cutting board for almost a year at home with no complaints. I’ve sanded it once before and it started looking a little beat up again last week so I sanded it down again. The first time I sanded it, I just used some random mid grit sandpaper I had laying around just to do some light resurfacing and there was no problem. This time, I went 80-120-220-320 and then a leftover sheet of 600 grit I had. The problem is the board seems to be dulling my edges noticeably more quickly. I thought I was imagining this at first, but I resharpened/touched up the knives and the problem persists for about a week now. 52100, Blue 2, R2, they’re all dulling faster than before. Just a couple quick prep sessions and the edge ends up duller than it was pre-sanding when I could go for quite awhile without significant dulling.

Really don’t think it’s a sharpening problem because I’ve haven’t changed my technique and I’ve used these knives at home and in a prep kitchen on poly boards without this issue. Any idea what’s going on? Should I re-sand or try something else?
The only potential explanation could be if sand from sand paper got imbedded into the board, since hinoki boards are so soft. Seems unlikely though and you should be able to see it and feel it.

My guess would be it is not due to the board being sanded, but hard to say. Usually these things are due to sharpening in my experience 🤷‍♂️

The only potential explanation could be if sand from sand paper got imbedded into the board, since hinoki boards are so soft. Seems unlikely though and you should be able to see it and feel it.

My guess would be it is not due to the board being sanded, but hard to say. Usually these things are due to sharpening in my experience 🤷‍♂️

Thanks, I was thinking some abrasive could be causing the problem because the knives seem to be dulling in a similar fashion. I scrubbed the board with a non abrasive sponge and soap/hot water pretty thoroughly after sanding, but maybe I’ll try some 0000 steel wool or something.

Yesterday, I ended up breaking out an old endgrain board I stopped using because it’s a bit heavy and minced a ton of garlic and ginger and finely cut a bunch of scallions with the middle section of one of the knives the Hinoki board was dulling and the edge is still like almost fresh off the stones sharp, so I don’t think wire edge or residual burr is the problem in this case.

Maybe try very sharp (fresh) sandpaper, with light pressure. Maybe it's being compacted. Maybe also try starting at a higher grit.

Thanks, I was thinking some abrasive could be causing the problem because the knives seem to be dulling in a similar fashion. I scrubbed the board with a non abrasive sponge and soap/hot water pretty thoroughly after sanding, but maybe I’ll try some 0000 steel wool or something.

Yesterday, I ended up breaking out an old endgrain board I stopped using because it’s a bit heavy and minced a ton of garlic and ginger and finely cut a bunch of scallions with the middle section of one of the knives the Hinoki board was dulling and the edge is still like almost fresh off the stones sharp, so I don’t think wire edge or residual burr is the problem in this case.
Good idea. I was going to suggest hot water with a green scruby, but 0000 steel wool should work too. Or like was suggested above some new sand paper of coarser grid might help if it is indeed abrasive being imbedded in the board.

Back