Help! Warped Hi-Soft

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kratos

Reaction score
My wife put both of my Hi-Soft cutting boards in the dishwasher and they're now bowed in each direction, creating an almost bowl-like shape, if you will. I can sort of force them back into position with my hands - I hold one edge in my hand and place the opposite side on the edge of the counter. I push down hard and it goes flat again, but it doesn't last. Within minutes they are bowed up again. Is there ANY way to correct this? The boards are both 15.75" x 11.5" x 0.75" Please help!

Maybe an idea? I've successfully flattened a warped hobby cutting mat by placing pans and pots on top and pouring almost boiling water into them to give it a mild ironing effect.

This is what I’d do: Put in the preheated oven on a low temperature (maybe try 130°f and work up if needed, not sure how low your oven can go), use something large and flat to sit on rather than the rack directly. Put something heavy on top (another flat surface with a cast iron pan(s) as example). Not sure how long it’ll take but better to use low temp and more time than try to rush with higher temp. Allow to fully cool before removing.

This is what I’d do: Put in the preheated oven on a low temperature (maybe try 130°f and work up if needed, not sure how low your oven can go), use something large and flat to sit on rather than the rack directly. Put something heavy on top (another flat surface with a cast iron pan(s) as example). Not sure how long it’ll take but better to use low temp and more time than try to rush with higher temp. Allow to fully cool before removing.
This works every time.

Thank you. Gonna try this tonight. Makes sense.

pics? why no pics?!
curious to see how warped they can get.

i got my hi-soft boards from korin in 2017 and dutifully handwashed them for a couple of years. then i got tired of worrying about sanitizing them after raw meat and said, "screw it, i'm trying the dishwasher."
guess what? nothing happened! :)

since then, my 11"x8" and 16"x11" hi-soft boards have gone in my dishwasher at least weekly for a couple of years. no problems.

my dishwasher's a miele, and the cycle i use is supposedly 150°F (65°C).

My wife put both of my Hi-Soft cutting boards in the dishwasher and they're now bowed in each direction, creating an almost bowl-like shape, if you will. I can sort of force them back into position with my hands - I hold one edge in my hand and place the opposite side on the edge of the counter. I push down hard and it goes flat again, but it doesn't last. Within minutes they are bowed up again. Is there ANY way to correct this? The boards are both 15.75" x 11.5" x 0.75" Please help!

Woodworkers deal with this stuff all the time. Cupped boards results from one side being drier than the other. When wood dries, it shrinks,,, primarily across the grain. There's a very simple solution. If you have a lawn, place your boards' cupped side, face down on the lawn on a sunny day, and leave it there for a little while until it flattens. The cupped side will absorb moisture from the lawn, into the cupped face, and this will expand the wood fibers. The "sunny side" will lose moisture from the sun's rays, and will shrink . Cupping should be gone fairly quickly. Time required will depend on the moisture level in your yard,,, direct sunlight,,, and board thickness. You shouldn't need to place weight on the board.

P.S. I just realized your board is made with PVA. Try it anyway.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back