Hey. My name is Michael Miller and I am learning to make knives.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a blade forward perspective. My apologies for the poor quality.
20131128_171429.jpg20131128_171441.jpg
And here is as straight as I can get it.
20131128_171453.jpg

The handle is not as huge as it looks and the balance point is right where is should be, about 1.75 inches in front of the handle

Also if I can find another forgie I would love to do a WIP on the conversion.

Here is a blade forward perspective. My apologies for the poor quality.
View attachment 20593View attachment 20594
And here is as straight as I can get it.
View attachment 20595

The handle is not as huge as it looks and the balance point is right where is should be, about 1.75 inches in front of the handle

Also if I can find another forgie I would love to do a WIP on the conversion.

I have one that needs work, PM me with details of what you would charge to thin it and convert it to wa.

Nice work again Michael. The new set of pics looks a lot better. You've definitely got your own style, and we are lucky enough to be a part of you refining and defining it.
I still really want to try out one of your blades.
Keep up the good work bro.

First gyuto I have made in a long time. It is 52100 at 61hrc with a stabilized Oregon maple burl handle. This one is ground for a lefty. This is very similar to the knife I am thinking about doing a passaround with someday soon if there is enough interest:biggrin:.

20131130_103321.jpg

20131130_103330.jpg

20131130_103346.jpg

20131130_103355.jpg

I stink at taking choil shots so here are two. Hopefully you can get an idea of the grind. It is heavily and asymmetrically convexed but still thin behind the edge.

20131130_103409.jpg

20131130_103509.jpg

Hopefully I will be getting some professional photograph done soon.

Please let me know what y'all think.
-Mike

Here is another picture. I think this is a bit better.
20131130_110744.jpg

I'd also like to mention that this is one of my first belt finished blades. So what are y'alls thoughts on the finish?

So I was discussing those choil shots with a friend and they do not represent how the blade is actually ground at all. Hopefully the new owner will get me some more choil shots soon.

All of the sexy choil shots posted on KKF make it seem easy. I think knives and photography are a common pair of hobbies here. I am very tempted myself. But another rabbit hole? When does it end?

Yeah. Hopefully I can just get a camera with manual focus one day and that will be as far as I go into photography, but I highly doubt my addictive personality will let that be the case.

OK so bad news. A recent conversation with a friend and a disaster involving the pass around knife has reminded me that I still have no idea what I am doing. So I am going to cancel the passaround for the time being. Hopefully I can figure this knife making thing out soon. I apologize for getting y'alls hopes up.

-Mike

Don't be so hard on yourself, dude. You've made some awesome stuff. 6 months ago it was all talk.

I tried my hand at grinding a parer, and just when I thought I had it perfect, I blew the tip, again and again, until I was left with a stubby tanto, lol.

I'm sure Marko has boxes full of fails and practice knives...

I was not trying to be hard on myself. I am much much better than I was 6 months ago, but I am still not good enough to have a pass around yet. Hopefully one day soon, but not now.
I am more ashamed for letting people down on this passaround.

Thank you for the kind words. And I am sure you will do much better on the next parer. :thumbsup:

Hey Mike, sometimes to have to take a small step back to jump a little further. The growth we have seen from you in this short time has been tremendous. I have no doubts that soon you'll have a piece that you feel comfortable sending out.

Wish you the best.

I am having some trouble heat treating my next batch of steel so I rehandled my Yoshikane again to kill some time. This time I think the handle is worthy of the knife it is on.

Spalted maple, with a micarta ferrule and nickle silver spacer.
20131226_131037.jpg

20131226_131048.jpg

20131226_131057.jpg

20131226_131102.jpg

I still need to find a way to get a good tang hole. I am going to try a coping saw on my next one.
20131226_131113.jpg

Please let me know what you think.

great wood and great yoshi. I love that knife.

Awesome maple you got there!

How about sanding a little micarta and mixing it with epoxy to cover tang hole? I guess it would make it look less visible.

It would. What is done is done though. I will try in on my next one though. I also think that other epoxies look better cured than the stuff I am currently using. I am currently looking for access to other epoxies also.

Also thanks for the kind words everyone.

Well. There goes some beautiful buckeye burl. Lesson learned. This was my first attempt at a D handle and I was doing the handle a little out of my usual order. I rough shaped the handle and then tried to install the dowel. Didn't work very well apparently.

20140104_183937.jpg

20140104_183956.jpg

I'll see if I can salvage the lower portion for a petty ferrule or something.

It is a shame. This was a very beautiful piece of wood.

I Wa-converted this Misono 270mm sujihiki. Now it is a 300mm wa-suji.

Buckeye burl for the handle with brass spacers.

This is a more "normal" sized handle. 19mmHx18mmW at the ferrule and 25mmHx20mmW at the butt and 137mm long.

Once again I apologize for the pictures. I need a better camera.

20140112_120337.jpg

20140112_120351.jpg

20140112_120359.jpg

20140112_120415.jpg

20140112_120427.jpg

Please let me know what you think.

Looks awesome! I think I might have to get buckeye for one of my handles.

Looks awesome if you ask me. The previous handles were a bit too fat for my liking but this one is just right. Nice job

look fanastic, the handle for the misono look prefect, the wood look like marble

Latest posts

Back